Views
Helpful
Replies

Firmware error after upgrade - cannot get to ROMMON

Chris Knipe
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Yesterday I tried to install c2960-lanbasek9.mz.12.55.SE4.bin onto my router.  When I changed the boot commands, I did not leave the 2nd option in there and the old firmware has an .ex3 extension.  After trying to boot to this new image, we receive a looping error message that continues to reboot and go through the same process.

Basically the error is  "ERROR: firmware not supported by hardware"

I have power cycled it a few times but durning bootup, I never see the ################################## which would allow me to BREAK sequence and get into rommon.  The device simply waits about 30-40 seconds after boot and goes right back to the looping reboot sequence and the error message. 

Is there any hyper term or putty settings to change on this?

1 Reply 1

Chris Knipe
Level 1
Level 1

Actually just read the note about holding the mode button down to get to the "switch" prompt.

Is the boot system command availible in here?  My old image is still present but just not with the .bin extension.  Can I just delete the bad firmware and rename the old one to a .bin ?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: