cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

First switch from cisco ready to do 10G ?

smalldragoon
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm not very well skilled on Cisco and switches.

We need to have a 10 gigabit connectivity ( but almost sure we will not reach more than 5!! ) and I was wondering which type of switch I can use with the appropriate SFPs  ?

as an option, I have a 3548xl , could I insert 10giga SFPs in it  ? as long as it do not reach high rates ?

if not, what is the 1st cheapest cisco switch ( even end of life as it is for labs..)

Thx!

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

The lowest cost switch with 10GB would be the 2960S.

WS-C2960S-24TD-L    Catalyst 2960S 24 GigE, 2 x 10G SFP+ LAN Base

SFP-10G-LRM=          10GBASE-LRM SFP Module

View solution in original post

Bob

10Gbps switches don't come cheap unfortunately. It is not simply a question of using 10Gbps SFPs, if the switch doesn't support 10Gbps then it doesn't.

As Collin says, that is about the cheapest you will get.

Jon

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

The lowest cost switch with 10GB would be the 2960S.

WS-C2960S-24TD-L    Catalyst 2960S 24 GigE, 2 x 10G SFP+ LAN Base

SFP-10G-LRM=          10GBASE-LRM SFP Module

thanks ! but his one is pretty expensive ..any with a back pane coonection for an gbic /sfp in10gig ?

any other suggestion ?

thx!

Bob

10Gbps switches don't come cheap unfortunately. It is not simply a question of using 10Gbps SFPs, if the switch doesn't support 10Gbps then it doesn't.

As Collin says, that is about the cheapest you will get.

Jon

ok, thanks guys

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

if not, what is the 1st cheapest cisco switch ( even end of life as it is for labs..)

Don't know if they can be found cheap, or found at all, but there was a 3750G, 3750G-16TD, that had one 10gig port.  This model wasn't on the market very long before going EoS.  NB: the 10gig port doesn't use SFP+.

Awwwww ... alright then.

You could try Cisco Refurbished.  20% the price of a brand new one PLUS warranties of a brand new one.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card