Helpful
Replies

Flapping error on switch

rechard_david
Level 1
Level 1

Dear all,

after i show log on my switch i saw the error as below:

%SW_MATM-4-MACFLAP_NOTIF: Host 0000.0000.xxx in vlan xx  is flapping between port Po1 and port Fa0/1

How can i fix this error? what's wrong?

Best Regards,

3 Replies 3

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

so there may be nothing wrong these can be legitimate notifications,  its telling you the mac is known by one port but has also been learned in by another while it was still known in the cam table , this can be caused by someone moving a laptop around , warless devices phones , ap users etc  , you can turn off the notifications too if you want

If you think its suspect trace the mac and find out what exactly it is an doing and how its connected to the network  

Dear Mark,

Thank for your advise.

how can we turn off the notification ?

any way how to can set one port on Mac ?

Best Regards,

Hi

to turn it off use this below....

mac-address-table notification mac-move

To enable MAC-move notification, use the mac-address-table notification mac-move command in global configuration mode. To disable MAC-move notification, use the no form of this command.

mac-address-table notification mac-move [counter [syslog]]

no mac-address-table notification mac-move [counter [syslog]]

any way how to can set one port on Mac ?

Sorry I'm not sure I understand the last question here , what exactly do mean  ? are you talking about setting a static mac to a port on the switch

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card