Views
Helpful
Replies

Flash size after upgrade

chiragom2341
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Everyone,

I have recently upgraded the switch onto new version and leave the old os. Now the switch is running with just 17mb space left in flash. 

I prefer to leave old software just in case if I want to go back but then space matters so would be any impact on the switch if there is limited space, in my case 17mb?

Switch model - 2960X 

Thank you. 

5 Replies 5

As always, it depends. Usually you can fill the flash up to the limit without any problems. Sometimes you need some free space for specific switch operations. Some admins automatically store logs to the flash. Or if you use DHCP-snooping, the snooping-database could be stored in flash. But 17 MB free is likely more than enough.

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- It's probably not advisable. An example is the Vlan database  which may need updating when the device is  a VTP client and more Vlan's are advised on the server. I would advise to remove the old release.

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
17 Mb is fine.

I really like the beginning statement from @Karsten Iwen saying that the answer is it depends. We do not know how these switches are configured and what they are trying to do. So it is difficult to really know the impact of most of flash being used. We can say that filling flash is different from filling RAM. If your device is using almost all of its RAM then you are very likely to have problems and performance is likely to be affected. We could say that in general running with only 17 of flash is ok. But we do not know if this switch may be using some feature (whether it is vtp client, or dhcp snooping, or logging to flash, or something else) where limited flash could be problematic.

HTH

Rick

chiragom2341
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

Thanks for your suggestions. 

The switches are running with free memory space, just 25% used of total memory allocation so I have decided to leave old software for some time just to check how switches are behaving with the new OS.

Regards,

Chirag

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card