cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Force LLDP for POE Negotiation

Brian Maxwell
Level 1
Level 1

I have several IP Cameras which require one of two scenarios to seemingly work properly on Catalyst 3850U switches.

1.  configure power inline 2-event

2.  (I've been told by a customer) that if I force the port to negotiate POE via LLDP, the 2-event command is not necessary.

I can't seem to find anywhere how to force the switches to use LLDP for the negotiation.  I'd like to know how as I'm troubleshooting another issue with different cameras requiring 60W and am told by the manufacturer that as long as the switch is using LLDP, it should work.

Thanks for any guidance.

4 Replies 4

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It appears if you enable LLDP, you can only negotiate up to 30W. So, if you need more than that, you would need to hard set the interface.

The initial allocation for Class 0, Class 3, and Class 4 powered devices is 15.4 W. When a device starts up and uses CDP or LLDP to send a request for more than 15.4 W, it can be allocated up to the maximum of 30 W.

Link:

https://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3850/software/release/3.2_0_se/multibook/configuration_guide/b_consolidated_config_guide_3850_chapter_011010.html

HTH

Thanks.  I do anticipate having to statically set the power in this scenario.  I'm curious how to force the switch to use LLDP in general though.  I have a query out to my customer regarding this as well but they haven't responded yet. 

The scenario is that they have a switch supporting POE+ but not the command Power Inline 2x-Mode and they managed to get the 30w cameras working properly by changing the negotiation to lldp.

The command to enable LLDP on the switches globally is "lldp run" this will enable LLDP for the whole switch.

The connected devices to the switch must also run LLDP to negotiate.

HTH

You may also need to enable send and receive LLDP per interface

the commands are

lldp receive

lldp transmit

HTH

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card