Views
Helpful
Replies

forming a new port-channel without service intteruption

afsharki2
Level 1
Level 1

Hello friends,

I have a 4510 switch that houses a 1gig port-channel consisting of 2 interfaces (fiber optics).

I want to cutover this fiber into a 10Gb connection.  Is there a way to cutover to a new port-channel without service interruption.  The uplink module on my 4510 has 4 available slots, and I'm currently only using 2 for the current port-channel.  My distribution switch also has extra avialble ports.  

Please let me know if you don't fully understand the questoin.

thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

Since you have extra ports available on both access and distro switches, you can build a new Portchannel with 2 10Gig interfaces in it.  Connect and configure it and test to make sure its all working. Now you have 2 Portchannels (say 10 and 20) 10 has 2 1Gig and 20 has 2 10Gig.  To be safe have a short maintenance window and decommission 10. You should not see any downtime, maybe a ping loss or 2.

HTH

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

Since you have extra ports available on both access and distro switches, you can build a new Portchannel with 2 10Gig interfaces in it.  Connect and configure it and test to make sure its all working. Now you have 2 Portchannels (say 10 and 20) 10 has 2 1Gig and 20 has 2 10Gig.  To be safe have a short maintenance window and decommission 10. You should not see any downtime, maybe a ping loss or 2.

HTH

Thank you.  The only difficulty I see is how we can cutover traffic to flow from one port-channel to the other, since both port-channels are going to the same switch from the same switch...

It may take a few seconds, but should not take that long, and that is why I suggest doing it in a maintenance window.

HTH

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card