cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

frame relay

carl_townshend
Spotlight
Spotlight

what is the default setup for frame relay, is it point to point or point tp multipoint ? and does the router the other end that you map to have to be on the same subnet ?

thanks all

4 Replies 4

pkhatri
Level 11
Level 11

Carl,

The default setup for the physical interface is multipoint. The setup for sub-interfaces depends on whether you configure them as point-to-point or multipoint.

The router at the other end does have to be in the same subnet ...

Paresh

can you have one subinterface acting as a multipoint, and do you just map multiple dlci's on this interface ? and also where would i point the static route on this router, to the ip of the other end or just the local interface ? also I always thought it did not matter what ip you mapped the other end, does it really have to be on the same subnet ?

thanks for your help.

Yes, you can have a sub-interface acting as a multipoint interface. When using multipoint interfaces, it is recommended that you point it to the IP at the other end, not the interface. For IP to work correctly, you need to have addresses in the same subnet at both ends.

Pls do remember to rate posts.

Paresh

can go give me an example config if possible, both multipoint and point to point

thanks

Carlos

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card