Views
Helpful
Replies

FWSM and IDSM-2 with Sup-720 BackPlane

Ibrahim Jamil
Level 6
Level 6

Hi Folks

If you add to ur existing 6509-E Sup 720 1 FWSM and IDSM-2,does these reduce the performance of the box,as i Know,the Backplane of the 6509-E sup 720 is 720 GB

i wanna add these to my core to protect the server farm

what is the bandwidth of SVI interface?

what is the backplane of FWSM and IDSM-2

6 Replies 6

Yogesh Ramdoss
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Ibrahim,

In Cat6500 we have two data path - one via switch fabric and other through the 32-Gbps shared bus.

Of course, fabric-enabled modules use switch fabric path, while non-fabric modules use 32G shared bus.

I believe you have CEF256 based FWSM.

If so, it can have bandwidth of upto 6 Gbps (and switching-mode should be truncated in presence of other fabric-enabled modules)

Firewall Service Module Config Guide - specifications:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/fwsm/fwsm22/configuration/guide/specs.html

Sup720 switch fabric can support upto 18 20Gbps full-duplex (18 x 20gbps x 2 = 720 Gbps) channels.

As long as you have <6Gbps traffic to FWSM, it should not be a problem.

In this switch, Module 9 is a FWSM.

6509A#show fabric utilization
slot    channel      speed    Ingress %     Egress %
   9          0         8G            2            0

Even though it has 8G fabric connection, it can have maximum of 6x 1Gbps port in the channel.

6509A#show etherchannel summary
Group  Port-channel  Protocol    Ports
------+-------------+-----------+-----------------------------------------------
280    Po280(SU)        -        Gi9/1(P)   Gi9/2(P)   Gi9/3(P)   Gi9/4(P)
                                 Gi9/5(P)   Gi9/6(P)

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Yogesh

Hi

what about the IDSM-2

Ibrahim,

Same as FWSM, IDSM-2 should support 8G fabric connection.

Regards,

Yogesh

Hi Yogesh

its fabirc speed , but what about the Firewall Throutput and Intrusion detection Throutput, i have 9 Floors , each with dual 10bg uplink toward the core and the servers behind the core,is it enough to deal with huge amount of data hiting the core than the sever farm

Pls Clarify

Ibrahim,

I understand the scenario. But, I am NOT proficient enough to determine the total amount of traffic that will be hitting FWSM or IDSM.

I would request you to discuss this with Cisco System Engineer (SE) assigned to your account - if any.

Regards,

Yogesh

Thanks Yogesh , When y get info Please share it with me

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card