Views
Helpful
Replies

FWSM problem

s.debenito
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

My company has adquired a Catalyst 6513 with a FWSM module installed on it.

I have been reading lot of documentation on cisco.com, but still have some problems configuring the FWSM:

The 6513 has 10 SVIs configured, each of them with an IP address. These 10 SVIs are binded to 10 VLANs which I need to secure. These SVIs are used for routing all the Inter-VLAN traffic inside the switch. The documentation says it is recommended to use just one SVIs for connecting the switch to the FWSM, altough you can use more than one using the command "firewall multiple-vlan-interfaces". I don't want to use this command because it seems a pretty more difficult configuration, since you have to use policy routing after using this command (or that is, at least, what documentation says).

When I try to "send" to the FWSM more than one VLAN that are configured as SVIs on the switch I get this error message:

"No more than one svi is allowed, command rejected."

If I delete the IP address of those SVIs, then I can to "send" those SVIs to the switch whith no problem at all. But I need the SVIs to have IP address configured, since they are needed for routing Inter-VLAN traffic.

So, the question is: how can I route all the inter-VLAN traffic using just one SVI on the switch? Should I use the FWSM for inter-VLAN traffic routing??

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Sergio.

15 Replies 15

Not totally magically. If you use the ASDM, you have to do a "Refresh" in order to get the vlans in the drop down box where you select vlans.  And the new vlans are always at the bottom, unless you restart the asdm instance.

Regards

Rani

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card