cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Generating network configurations for a large network roll-out.

stevemakay
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I'm working on greenfield DMVPN (200+ sites) network, and I'm looking for something to help generate the configurations for the site routers and switches. Something that can use build configs from templates/spreadsheets and update ip addressing, hostname etc per site would be great.

I'm also looking to create the configs for IP SLA.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Steve

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Harvey khatri
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Steve

I have been using GEN IT for about 4 years now and i recommend it 100%.  We used it for a large network rollout a few years ago, over 800 sites and it was excellent and we still use all the time.  The tool is also regularly updated by the developer and the functionality has improved with each update.  We have also requested features in the past which have been included in the software.  Well worth the money and the only tool we could find that did the job.

Harvey  

View solution in original post

Hi Steve,

We've been utilising GEN.IT from the initial rollout of our 700+ DMVPN sites through to today, for deploying new sites and rebuilding existing sites. Once you put the work into developing the spreadsheet templates and utilising the functions for IP calculations, GEN.IT becomes a very reliable tool to generate individual or bulk site configs with a confidence and ease.

Good Luck.

Alistair

View solution in original post

14 Replies 14

Andras Dosztal
Level 3
Level 3

I usually put the data into a CSV file, and write a script (Python, Perl, PowerShell, shell script, etc.) to generate the configs. Create a template, then the script loops through the CSV file, puts the values into variables, then replaces some content with the variables' values.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Android App

Thanks Andras,

I've done quite a bit of searching and I've come across Gen.IT (http://www.gen-it.net). It's GUI/spreadsheet driven rather than scripting. I'm testing it now, and it seems like it will do the job. Is anyone else is using it, any comments on it before I think of purchasing it?

Steve

Hi Steve,

We've been utilising GEN.IT from the initial rollout of our 700+ DMVPN sites through to today, for deploying new sites and rebuilding existing sites. Once you put the work into developing the spreadsheet templates and utilising the functions for IP calculations, GEN.IT becomes a very reliable tool to generate individual or bulk site configs with a confidence and ease.

Good Luck.

Alistair

Harvey khatri
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Steve

I have been using GEN IT for about 4 years now and i recommend it 100%.  We used it for a large network rollout a few years ago, over 800 sites and it was excellent and we still use all the time.  The tool is also regularly updated by the developer and the functionality has improved with each update.  We have also requested features in the past which have been included in the software.  Well worth the money and the only tool we could find that did the job.

Harvey  

5m-petrov
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Steve,

Look no further ;-)

It is worth every penny especially where template-d rollouts are required.

You can do virtually everything…

At the beginning it may appear as being bit complex though one should appreciate the fact that it is “Engineering Tool”.

As with every rollout at the beginning it does involve bit of planning which will very soon save you quite a lot of time.

Hints… Site categorisation and IP Addressing schema are crucial foundation…

Cheers,

Mile

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
I'm working on greenfield DMVPN (200+ sites) network, and I'm looking for something to help generate the configurations for the site routers and switches. Something that can use build configs from templates/spreadsheets and update ip addressing, hostname etc per site would be great

Switches are easy.  Just use Zero Touch SmartInstall.

Thanks Leo,

Smartinstall is great for getting the switches onto the network (assuming you have access to your core at the time of power up - not so in my case) with a base config. The majority of the config's i'm interested in are the vlan configs (l2 & l3), and port configs. Unfortunately I don't see smartinstall helping with this.

The majority of the config's i'm interested in are the vlan configs (l2 & l3), and port configs.

Hmmmm ... You've heard the soon-to-disappear Switchport MACRO?

Not to be confused with Auto Smart Port (ASP).

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Routers are a different beast.

If a router gets an IP address via DHCP, you will immediately notice it tries to look for a file to write into the startup-config.

I don't have the details anymore so you'll need to do some packet sniffing.

Thanks again,

From the looks of it, Gen.IT would be able to generate the config file which the router can then upload. It also looks like it's able to do IP address calculations to work out HSRP/subnet addressing.

I'll keep testing....

From the looks of it, Gen.IT would be able to generate the config file which the router can then upload. It also looks like it's able to do IP address calculations to work out HSRP/subnet addressing.

What we've done with ours (deploying >40 routers) is we have a configuration template.  The management IP address is set to DHCP.  Once the router gets the config file it writes the file into the startup-config.

Without touching the keyboard, we box up the router and send it along its way.  Once it's there, the router gets an IP address (via DHCP) and we see the router as it logs in.  We remote in and we set the correct IP address and other unique configuration. 

Same goes with our switches, the main thing is that the administrative VLAN will get a temporary IP address via DHCP, that's how we roll out our switches yearly.  They go out without any management IP address.  Once they get to their destination they get an IP address and we go in and apply final configuration to the switches.

It's far faster than copy-and-pasting lines of configuration when all you need is to paste about 15 unique lines to each appliance.

stevemakay
Level 1
Level 1

An update....

I've done quite a bit of testing and I've decided to go with Gen.IT to generate my site and core configs. It does require a bit of work to get it going (building templates which I need anyway).The benifit is that once I've built my templates, I can build the configs for an entire site in a couple of minutes with no typo's etc.

Once I have the config's I can pass them to the guys in the field to copy/paste and test.

Steve

I also came across Gen.IT about two years ago and have been very happy with it. Yes it does take a bit of work to get the spreadsheet templates up and running but the time invested here pays off dividends when your generating configs for lots of sites. I used it for a 250 site roll out and it worked a treat. The great thing about it is that it prevents errors being introduced into the config from typos, incorrect IP numbering, etc. As such we were able to deploy 250 sites without a hitch.

The developer seems quite flexible also - I asked them to make implement some features and they did it pretty quickly.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco