cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Getting Junk language when accessing the Switch via Console.

syed.shameem1
Level 1
Level 1

Dear All,

I've been assinged a task to connect our branch office with the head office, so that the IP Phones in the branch office can be connected to Cisco Call Manager at head office. To accomplish this they have given a Cisco 877 Adsl router a 10 Port 3-COM POE Switch and 3 Cisco 7911 IP Phones. Currently the there are 7 PC's Connected to 3 COM Switch which indeed is connected to a Internet router(Speedtouch). First I thought of connectiong the IP Phones to the Ethernet Port on Cisco 877 router but had to change my mind as the ports are non POE ports and I do not have adapters for IP phones. So I've decided to connect the Phones to 3 COM Switch and create VLAN's (DATA & VOICE) and pass the DATA traffic through Speed Touch and Voice traffic through the Cisco 877 router, but when I tried accessing the 3-COM Switch via Console I am getting Junk language( See the attachment for reference).

Kindly let me know how can I pass through this Junk messeges and access the switch and also guide me with the solution..

I would be grateful if anyone can provide me the sample config which can be used as reference.

Thanks in advance..

Regards,

Shameem Syed

putty logs..

--------------------------------------------

=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~= PuTTY log 2012.05.02 18:31:27 =~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=

ÿ{¥þá%ÿ{eþá%·^mB9ù±¹o?šO*«gÿá%ÿ{%þá%ÿ{…þá%ÿý¨·^mB9ù±™o?ZON«gÿÿÿá%á%ÿÿ{Åþá%·^mB9ù±¹o? OΫgÿá%ÿ{…þá%ÿ{%þá%ÿ{¥þ·ÞmB9ùñ©o?ÚO «gÿÿá%ÿ{¥á%á%·^mB9ù±¹o? O.«gÿÿá%ÿ{%þá%ÿ{…þá%ÿ{%þ·^mB9ù±™o?ZON«gÿÿá%ý¨þá%ÿ{eþá%ý¨þ·^mB9ù±™o?ZOn«gÿÿá%ý¨þá%ÿ{%þá%ý¨þ·^mB9ù±¹o?ZON«gþá%ý¨þá%ÿ{¥þá%ý¨þ·ÞmB9ù±‰o?ÚO «gþá%ݨþá%ÿ{%þá%ý¨þ·^mB9ù±¹o?ZON«gÿÿá%ý¨þá%ÿ{åþá%ý¨þ·^mB9ù±™o?ZOn«gÿÿá%ý¨þá%ÿ{%þá%ý¨þ·^mB9ù±¹o?ZON«gÿÿá%ÿ{%þá%ÿ{…þá%ÿý¨þ·ÞmB9ù±¹o?šOŽ«gÿÿá%ÿ{¥þá%ÿ{%þá%ÿ{…þ·ÞmB9ù±9o?šO*«'ÿÿá%ÿ{¥þá%ÿ{%þá%ÿ{…þ·ÞmB9ù±¹o?šO «gÿÿá%ý¨þá%ÿ{¥þá%ý¨þ·ÞmB9ù±©o?Ú  «gÿÿá%ý¨þá%ÿ{…þá%ý¨þ·ÞmB9ù±‰o?ÚO.«gÿÿá%ý¨þá%ÿ{¥þá%ý¨þ·^mB9ùñ©o?ÚO «gÿÿá%ý¨þá%ÿ{Åþá%ý¨þ·^mB9ù±‰o?ÚO.«gþá%ý¨þá%ý¨þá%ý¨þ·ÞmB9ù±©o?ÚO «gÿÿá%ý¨þá%ý¨þá%ý¨þ·^mB9ù±™o?ZON«gÿÿá%ý¨þá%ý¨þá%ý¨þ·^mB9ù±‰o?ÚO.«gÿÿá%?ï%þá%ý¨þá%ï%þ·ÞmB9ù±¹o? O «gÿÿá%ÿ{Åþá%ÿ{%þá%ÿ{Åþ·^mB9ù±‰o?ÚO.«gÿÿá%ÿ{Åþá%ÿ{%þá%ÿ{Åþ·^mB9ù±9o?ÚO.«gÿÿá%ÿ{…þá%ݨþá%ÿ{%þ·^-B9ù±¹o? ON«gþá%ý¨þá%ý¨þá%ÿ{…þ·ÞmB9ù±‰o?Ú  «gþá%ݨþá%ý¨þá%ÿ{%þ·^mB9ù±™o?ZON«gþá%ý¨þá%ý¨þá%ÿ{Åþ·^mB9ù±‰o?ÚO «gþá%ý¨þá%ý¨þá%ÿ{eþ·^mB9ù±¹o? O.«gþá%ý¨þá%ý¨þá%ý¨þ·^mB9ù±¹o? ON«gÿÿá%ý¨þá%?ý¨þá%ÿ{…þ·ÞmB9ù±‰o?Ú  «gÿÿá%ÿ{Åþá%ÿ{eþá%ÿ{…þ·^mB9ù±¹o?šOŽ«gÿÿá%ÿ{Åþá%ÿ{%þá%ÿ{¥þ·ÞmB9ù±‰o?Ú  «gÿÿá%ÿ{Åþá%

-------------------------------------------

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

Usually with Cisco device when you get garbage in your screen, that means you have the wrong baud rate on your console.

You can try changing the baud rate on your 3com device and test again:

usually the default is 9600

try 38400 up to 115200 and test every time you change it.

HTH

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

Usually with Cisco device when you get garbage in your screen, that means you have the wrong baud rate on your console.

You can try changing the baud rate on your 3com device and test again:

usually the default is 9600

try 38400 up to 115200 and test every time you change it.

HTH

Thanks alot Reza!!

38400 worked but I am stuck again as it is asking me for login/password and I dont have any. I've also checked for the reset button but had no luck. Could you please guide what shall I do to retrieve the password and configure the switch.

Thanks again..

Shameem

Shameem,

The link below will lead you to a step-by-step guide on how to recover from a forgotten or lost switch password.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps628/products_password_recovery09186a0080094184.shtml

Kind Regards,

Kevin

**Please rate helpful posts as well as mark the questions as answered once the issue is resolved. This will help others to find the solution faster.

Kind Regards, Kevin Sheahan, CCIE # 41349
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card