cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

GLC-GE-100FX vs GLC-FE-100FX Rugged 1300nm vs 1310nm

mike prescher
Level 1
Level 1

We've got some non-Cisco end gear that only support 100MB and an interface using1300nm mm fiber. It is a power plant environment so that means fanless gear and low-temp ruggedized SFP's are desired.

Cisco makes two SFP's that might work for this application in their fanless CGS 2010 switches to which this other non-Cisco gear would attach to. These are the GLC-GE-100FX  or the GLC-FE-100FX.

There are really two issues:

1) Wavelength.

We'd like to use the GLC-FE-100FX (rugged) but it is 1310 nm and the non-cisco gear attaching uses 1300nm. Competitors of Cisco in the rugged environment actually make a 1300nm version of the GLC-FE-100FX, but Cisco doesn't??

http://www.transition.com/TransitionNetworks/Products2/Product.aspx?ID=44231&CategoryName=TN-GLC-xxx

2) Ruggedized.

The GLC-GE-100FX  is a 1300nm SFP and could support 10/100/1000 so the speed would be covered, but this one doesn't come in a rugged low temp version.

So...anybody run in to this or do I misunderstand the product naming/capabilities?

Can we use the 1310nm GLC-FE-100X at 1300nm (guessing no) or are we stuck with the non-rugged version GLC-GE-100FX  that can handle 1300nm and thus precisely support our non-Cisco end gear requirements?

Thanks for any insight.

2 Replies 2

Fabienne Stephanoff
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Mike,

I have seen a case where customers were able to connect successfully a GLC-FE-100FX to an HP J4853A which is 1300nm. Not sure what type of non cisco gear you are using. Although I am not a cabling expert, in their case, it was explained that "usually, working wavelength 1310nm is a industry standard for MMF. But as a matter of fact, receivers are wide band. Both 1310nm and 1300nm refer to the same wavelength band and are only two different names for the same band."

Also I do not believe the CGR 2010 supports anything but the GLC-FE-100FX:

*         Compatibility Matrix

<http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/interfaces_modules/transceiver_modules/compatibility/matrix/OL632702.html

I hope this helps

Fabienne.

Thanks much for that response.

Your understanding is the same as the one I came to over the past couple of weeks and that has given me some comfort. A guideline...with the 1300 vs 1310 specifications being mutually inclusive in most vendor gear. 

Ended up ordering in any case so, I'll wire it up and prove the thesis ;}

Thanks again,

m.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card