Views
Helpful
Replies

hard resetting catalyst 4510

robertkwild
Spotlight
Spotlight

hi all,

as we inherited a 4510 from the previous company i am trying to hard/factory reset it

i am trying to follow this guide but im getting stuck

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/switches/catalyst-4000-series-switches/21229-pswdrec-cat4000-supiii-21229.html

hard rebooted the switch while connected my laptop to the console port

pressed ctrl+c

#set

#confreg

pressed either "y" or "n" to all the lines it showed me

#reset

now im in the rommon mode

when i try to enter #enable its not letting me

******** The system will autoboot now ********

config-register = 0x2142
Autobooting using BOOT variable specified file.....

Could not find a valid file in BOOT environment variable.
BOOT variable can be set from IOS. To find currently set
Rom Monitor variables, please type 'set' command.

For help on choosing a boot method, type 'confreg' command.
rommon 1 >enable

monitor: command "enable" not found
rommon 2 >enable

any help would be much appreciated

cheers,

rob

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

when you set rommon 1 >confreg 0x2142 then you boot the switch backup using boot bootflash or reset command in rommon then it goes to switch mode then you can use enable command and other Cisco IOS commands

the 2142 setting is to bypass the passwords/usernames and you can reset them but you need to be in normal switch mode first after the 2142 is set in rommon mode

did you have a backup of the config ,using that command in rommon may have wiped the config file completely ?

View solution in original post

26 Replies 26

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Hi
You need to boot it backup if it went into rommon

Try reset or the below first , then when its back up you can access enable mode , your in restricted rommon mode currently , enable doesnt exist , to see your options use ?

reset

or

boot bootflash:imagename.bin

thanks, i did do a help when i was in rommon mode and it didnt have a #enable option

everytime i do a #reset it takes me back to rommon mode

Hi
did you try boot the actaul image then thats in flash ?

Could not find a valid file in BOOT environment variable.

You should be able to see flash with -------- dir bootflash:

then run the run the boot statemnet from that image

boot bootflash:imagename.bin

if its still not booting image maybe corrupt

yes i can boot the image ie .bin file but i want to rename it or delete it and start again as i dont know the username and password for it

the image doesnt contain the username the config file does so you need to bypass startup as per the doc first then boot it , and follow the instructions

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/switches/catalyst-4000-series-switches/21229-pswdrec-cat4000-supiii-21229.html

#Note: You can also use the confreg 0x2142 command at the ROMmon prompt in order to set the configuration register value to bypass the startup configuration stored in NVRAM.

rommon 1 >confreg 0x2142

the config is showing 0x2142 but its just not allowing me to do the #enable command

even if i #reset

and press ctrl+c

its still not allowing me to do #enable

its just not letting me type #enable when im in mode 0x2142

im stuck now

when you set rommon 1 >confreg 0x2142 then you boot the switch backup using boot bootflash or reset command in rommon then it goes to switch mode then you can use enable command and other Cisco IOS commands

the 2142 setting is to bypass the passwords/usernames and you can reset them but you need to be in normal switch mode first after the 2142 is set in rommon mode

did you have a backup of the config ,using that command in rommon may have wiped the config file completely ?

ok i get it so once your in romcom 2142 then you ~reset the switch and then the switch command i can do #enable

is there a way to install a new firmware while in romcom mode as i think when i do the above method i dont see the option #enable as im running old firmware on the switch

could that be a reason why it isnt working?

ok i get it so once your in romcom 2142 then you ~reset the switch and then the switch command i can do #enable
Yes you can run normal IOS commands when the switch is fully up , you cant run them in rommon mode its a restricted section for recovering the device in issues

what mode are you in currently rommon or switch mode ?
rommon> or switch>

you can add software either way but its a lot quicker and easier when the switch is fully up in switch>
you can just add software to usb connect to the switch and then copy usb:imagenam.bin bootflash:

then set the boot statements in global config mode like below

boot-start-marker
boot system bootflash:cat4500es8-universalk9.SPA.03.08.07.E.152-4.E7.bin
boot system bootflash:cat4500es8-universalk9.SPA.03.08.06.E.152-4.E6.bin
boot-end-marker

Then you save it
copy run start

then check the bootvar make sure your image is first

xxxxxxxxxx#show bootv
BOOT variable = bootflash:cat4500es8-universalk9.SPA.03.08.07.E.152-4.E7.bin,12;bootflash:cat4500es8-universalk9.SPA.03.08.06.E.152-4.E6.bin,12;
CONFIG_FILE variable does not exist
BOOTLDR variable does not exist
Configuration register is 0x2102

Then reload it will take the new image as it boots

########################

if you want to add an image in rommon , follow this process but its a lot more complicated

Recover from a Corrupt or Missing Image

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/switches/catalyst-4000-series-switches/24061-149.html

im in rommon mode still

basically when i hard reboot the switch by taking out the power and putting it back in

i press "ctrl+c"

#confreg

answer yes no to all the questions

hard reboot again

i see im in mode 2142

#reset (or is it best to do a hard reboot instead)

im in 2142 again but still in rommon mode

try --- boot bootflash:imagename.bin
if it doesnt come up the image thats in flash may be corrupt

i really dont believe this now

its not letting me go in mode 2142

when i do #confreg 0x2142

then a #reset or pull out the power and plug it back in it doesnt go in that mode

it just goes in mode -

rommon 1 >set
PS1=rommon ! >
RommonVer=15.0(1r)SG5
SupportedFeatures=1
RET_2_RCALTS=
ConsecPostPassedCnt=2
ConfigReg=0x0141
BootedFileName=flash1:/USER/cat4500e-universalk9.SPA.03.07.01.E.152-3.E1.bin

the chasis has got two SUPs so i pulled out one and left one in there so im consoling into the active one only

mmm...

i dont know what image to download to my cisco switch

i have downlaoded this one to my usb stick -

CAT4500E SUP7-E/SUP7L-E Universal No MACSEC Image

from this website-

https://software.cisco.com/download/home/283289791/type/282046477/release/3.10.2E?i=!pp

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card