Views
Helpful
Replies

Have a problem in Nexus 5600 FEX

Va.8427
Level 1
Level 1

Hey

we have two nexus 5600 switches as well as two nexus 2348UPQ fex devices. I've configured Fex between one 5K and one 2K as static pinning using one fex 40G uplink. (very simple case). everything is fine and the fex status is online. Now, there is a Cat2960-x connected to my fex device using one interface. for instance, vlan 100 is passed between 5K and 2960 and BPDUfilter is enabled.

The problem is i don't have ping between interface vlans. I've tested both trunk and access modes as well as no switch-port in 2960 interface. but nothing happend. is there any limitation here? what's wrong with this scenario?

Thanks alot

1 Reply 1

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Hey,
we have two nexus 5600 switches as well as two nexus 2348UPQ fex devices. I've configured Fex between one 5K and one 2K as static pinning using one fex 40G uplink. (very simple case). everything is fine and the fex status is online. Now, there is a Cat2960-x connected to my fex device using one interface. for instance, vlan 100 is passed between 5K and 2960 and BPDUfilter is enabled.The problem is i don't have ping between interface vlans. I've tested both trunk and access modes as well as no switch-port in 2960 interface. but nothing happend. is there any limitation here? what's wrong with this scenario?
thanks alot

Hi ,

General recommendation says..The FEX ports are for host connectivity and not switch.

The Fabric Extender provides end-host connectivity into the network fabric. As a result,  BPDU Guard is enabled on all its host interfaces. If you connect a bridge or switch to a host interface, that interface is  placed in an error-disabled state when a BPDU is received. 

You cannot disable BPDU Guard on the host interfaces of the Fabric Extender.

But there are means and work around to do ..

If you do not run spanning tree on the switches you connect to the FEX. In order to make this happen you need to disable the transmission of BPDUs from the switch you connect by using BPDU filter. You can then use some type of non spanning tree technology to give you redundancy, these include port-channeling (VPC to traditional port channel) or the use of Flexlinks.

Have a look on the below links

Fex 2k Configuration 

Hope it Helps..

-GI

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card