cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

help! I want to utilize my Cisco Air 1142N, however, I can't connect it to my switch and router.

David H Lee
Level 1
Level 1

hello all! I am currently running my network Cisco Router 2811 and catalyst 3560 switch at home, and recently added Cisco AP 1142N to use it practice wireless lap. I've connected all the cables as I should and tried to control the AP from either router or switch by providing DHCP server. However, AP won't find WLC at all, and constantly renewing DHCP address, and sometimes, it reboots itself. I've seen few posts on here, but I haven't come across that explains exactly how to configure it through CLI. I'm still a newbie, so any little help will be much appreciated. IF you need more info, please let me know, I'll try to provide it to you as much as I can. thank you! 

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

This is a lightweight access point.  It wont work without a WLC.  Have you got a WLC?

View solution in original post

Hi

It looks like your device is working as lightweight AP.

The Aironet can works like lightweight or autonomous. The first option is when the AP is handled by a Wireless Lan Controller (WLC), in few words the AP does not have any important configuration, everything is implemented from the WLC, usually the IOS for Lightweight AP includes the work k9w8 on the file name. 

The Autonomous AP is when you configure it directly, not through a WLC. Usually this IOS includes k9w7 on the file name. 

If you are going to practice using the  AP with a WLC, you need to convert the AP from lightweight to autonomous. 

This link could be useful:

https://mrncciew.com/2012/10/20/lightweight-to-autonomous-conversion/

Please dont forget to rate the comment if it is useful

:-)

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

This is a lightweight access point.  It wont work without a WLC.  Have you got a WLC?

thanks for the reply. NO, I don't have WLC. Is there anyway I can configure AP with an acting Switch? or WLC's present is must? thank you

Hi

You can use your AP with your switch and router, but if you don't have a WLC you have to convert the AP from lightweight to standalone, in this way you will be able to configure the AP.

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<

Hi

It looks like your device is working as lightweight AP.

The Aironet can works like lightweight or autonomous. The first option is when the AP is handled by a Wireless Lan Controller (WLC), in few words the AP does not have any important configuration, everything is implemented from the WLC, usually the IOS for Lightweight AP includes the work k9w8 on the file name. 

The Autonomous AP is when you configure it directly, not through a WLC. Usually this IOS includes k9w7 on the file name. 

If you are going to practice using the  AP with a WLC, you need to convert the AP from lightweight to autonomous. 

This link could be useful:

https://mrncciew.com/2012/10/20/lightweight-to-autonomous-conversion/

Please dont forget to rate the comment if it is useful

thank you for the brief answer. I actually don't have a WLC, and I'm not planning to get one, unless it is an absolute necessity. However, if I want to use AP without WLC, where do I control AP with? Will Switch be the next one to be the controller? Router will take part? or Will it run by itself. My current signal path is, Cable Modem --> Cisco 2811 router ----> Catalyst 3560----> A1142 AP. Please let me know. thank you again! 

Hi,

The WLC is not required for your lab, but you have to convert the AP from lightweight to standalone.

Reference: https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/thread/14405

Converting a Lightweight Access Point Back to Autonomous Mode

You can convert an access point from lightweight mode back to autonomous mode by loading a Cisco IOS Release that supports autonomous mode (Cisco IOS release 12.3(7)JA or earlier). If the access point is associated to a controller, you can use the controller to load the Cisco IOS release. If the access point is not associated to a controller, you can load the Cisco IOS release using TFTP.

Note In some LWAPP deployments, the LWAPP controller resides between the access points and the rest of the network. In this topology, all traffic must cross over the controller before communication with network resources, such as a TFTP server, can occur. When converting back to non-LWAPP IOS with an access point that is no longer using the LWAPP protocol, traffic does not cross over the controller to reach the TFTP server.

Note The lightweight 1300 series access points can only be converted back to autonomous mode using a wireless LAN controller.

Using a Wireless LAN Controller to Return to a Previous Release

Follow these steps to revert from LWAPP mode to autonomous mode using a wireless LAN controller:

Step 1 Log into the CLI on the controller to which the access point is associated.

Step 2 Enter this command:

config ap tftp-downgrade tftp-server-ip-address filename access-point-name

Using a TFTP Server to Return to a Previous Release

Note This section does not apply to Cisco C3201WMIC and Cisco C3201LAP.

Follow these steps to revert from LWAPP mode to autonomous mode by loading a Cisco IOS release using a TFTP server:

Step 1 The static IP address of the PC on which your TFTP server software runs should be between 10.0.0.2 and 10.0.0.30.

Step 2 Make sure that the PC contains the access point image file (such as c1200-k9w7-tar.122-15.JA.tar for a 1200 series access point) in the TFTP server folder and that the TFTP server is activated.

Step 3 Set the timeout value on the TFTP server to 30 seconds.

Step 4 On the PC where the TFTP server is located, perform these steps:

a. Disable any software firewall products, such as Windows firewall, ZoneAlarm firewall, McAffee firewall, or others.

b. Ensure all Windows files are visible. From Windows Explorer, click Tools > Folder Options > View; then uncheck the Hide extensions for known file types check box.

Step 5 Rename the access point image file in the TFTP server folder to c1200-k9w7-tar.default for a 1200 series access point, c1130-k9w7-tar.default for an 1130 series access point, c1240-k9w7-tar.default for a 1240 series access point, and c1250-k9w7-tar.default for a 1250 series access point.

Step 6 Connect the PC to the access point using a Category 5 (CAT5) Ethernet cable.

Step 7 Disconnect power from the access point.

Step 8 Press and hold MODE while you reconnect power to the access point.

Step 9 Hold the MODE button until the status LED turns red (approximately 20 to 30 seconds) and then release.

Step 10 Wait until the access point reboots, as indicated by all LEDs turning green followed by the Status LED blinking green.

Step 11 After the access point reboots, reconfigure it using the GUI or the CLI.

Also this video can be useful, you need a standalone IOS (k9w7) to successfully complete the process. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQ_NuxdRhQ4&t=66s

This answer was absolutely spot on!!. It worked seamlessly, and was quite easy. thank you for your help once again!

Hi

It was a pleasure my friend, have a good day!

one more question, if you don't mind. what's the cons and pros of using WLC and using AP as a autonomous AP. I would like to try more things while I have a bit of time. Please enlighten me. thank you. 

Hi my friend,

A WLC has more pros than cons, the wlc is centralized point to control all the access points, you can update, configure, create authentication policies, it is considered PCI , create web portals like the wifi in hotels or airports, create credentials for certain time for an AP or many APs at the same time.

Imagine configure 30 Access points from a day to other, with a WLC it will be easy and fast. The following link can provide more advantages of the WLC.

https://www.cisco.com/web/AP/wireless/pdf/Benefits_of_centralizedWLan.pdf

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card