Views
Helpful
Replies

Help me with Catalyst 2950

DCVertigo
Level 1
Level 1

Having trouble with a Catalyst 2950:

Using Network Assistant in XP, plugged ethernet cable to first front port and keep getting "Failed to get Default Gateway. Check your security settings to make sure the current Java Virtual Machine is not prevented from running commands.", I have tried reducing secruity to nothing but I still get the same problem.

I also have an official cisco console cable and tried that, but Hyperterminal just does not pick it up when plugged in. I have left the IP dynamic, turned off all netowork adapters apart from ethernet, set the baud rate etc... correctly, still no joy.

Any advice and help would be greatly appreciated.

Been years since I touched networking hardware and got this switch as a solution for the amount of devices at home, so I am considered amateur at best.

Thanks in advance!

5 Replies 5

InayathUlla Sharieff
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

HI Keith,

1- Do not configure any ip address on your laptop.

2- Connect the console cable to the switch and other end to your laptop.

3- Configure your terminal or PC terminal emulation software for 9600 baud, 8 data bits, no parity, and 2 stop bits.

Select the right port and try the following:

Bits per sec : 9600

Data bits : 8

Parity : none

Stop bits : 1

Flow control : none

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/app_ntwk_services/waas/distdir/2501/configuration/guide/inst.html#wp1536

HTH

Regards

Inayath

Sorry I should have mentioned that I had done all of that, just blank.

Hi Keith,

Is this a new router and you have new console cable?

Can you please try with any other console cable and laptop /

Regards

Inayath

Bought previously used but tested. Tried two cables, tried on two different PC's and a laptop, through win7, win8, winxp and linux.

sahseth
Level 1
Level 1

Please try using Auxiliary port with Modem for configuration.

Thanks.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card