cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Help with definition of a small network.

Beagle423
Level 1
Level 1

OK. Cisco newbie here so be nice.

I have a small company LAN. My ISP has also supplied me with 4 static IP's which I use for mail/web/data, etc. My servers are all running flavors of Linux with one of the boxes doing the routing for my desktops to get out to the ISP.

Instead of managing all the security on each public server, I would like to put an 831 Router on my ISP link and then have the servers hanging on one of the ports via a DMZ. And then my LAN switch hanging on another of the ports so that my desktops can then route via the 831. Once in a while, we might have a user who would like to VPN into the LAN.

Am I way off base with my thought process?

Do I need to purchase IOS software?

Right now it looks like I can get an 831 for around $450 and then there is an IOS IP/FW software addon for $114. Does this sound right? There are so many routers and so many options that it is hard to figure this all out.

Thanks in advance,

Mark.

2 Replies 2

gpulos
Level 8
Level 8

the 831 for the pricing sounds about right. you may find it cheaper with more research but that's not bad.

the 831 will provide IDS for intrusion detection, firewall services for NAT, stateful inspection and port blocking, easy VPN for up to 5 users, IPSec and QoS as well as many other features.

please see the following link for more info on the 830 series router:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps380/products_data_sheet09186a008010e5c5.html

as far as your thought process, it is not too far off. the biggest issue you may have is the 100MB port that will connect to your 'dmz' where your servers reside; is it enough to handle the anticipated aggregated bandwidth for the servers you mentioned.

(it should be for the most part but not knowing your true bandwidth requirements, we cannot say for sure at this point; if these servers are mostly access via the net, then this should be fine)

one other option is researching on the net for other routers more powerful such as the 2600/2800 series or the likes.

(there are alot of good routers available at ebay and other sources that are more powerful than a 830 series for the same or close to the same price; it will take a bit of looking around but they can be found if you so desire)

if this is absolutely mission critical, which it seems it would be since you run your business off of it, you may want to settle for the piece of mind of having the device come from the manufacturer rather than an unknown on the net.

(plus you can get maintenance from cisco, etc.)

Our ISP link is a radio link which provides T1 speeds at best. I know that doesn't sound like a lot at first compared to the cable speeds, etc. that are out there. But I've had our ISP monitor th link and we're not coming anywhere close to maxing it out. So i would have to say that the 100MB DMZ would be fine.

What exactly does the IOS software provide that the physical router does not?

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card