Views
Helpful
Replies

Help with designing a multicast solution

dan_track
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

This may be trivial for some, but I'm at the beginning of my learning scope for multicasts. Here's my dilema:

I am working in an environment that has two sites, datcentre1 and datacentre2. In both environments there are lots of multicasts groups that are spread across vlans. I have a new requirement where I need to create two new vlan's in each DC and in them run an application that will multicast data. For efficiency I need to create a redndevouz point and have these mutlicast groups (239.49.81.0 - vlan 81 & 239.49.80.0 - vlan 80 in DC1 and 239.48.40.0 - vlan 40 & 239.48.41.0 - vlan 41 in DC2)use this RP, but I don't want any other multicast group to use this RP. Additionally, somehow, I need to prevent these multicast groups from using the existing RP address of 10.239.45.10. Also I need to stop these mutlicast groups from spilling over to other vlans. Can someone please help me with this design?

My problem is that I have read and studied quite a bit on multicast groups but I'm not that confident. I see myself as someone who knows the theory but has difficulty in putting it into practice in real world scenarios.

A design guide would be very useful to me.

If you need any further clarification or information please let me know.

Thanks in advance

Dan

1 Reply 1
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card