cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Help with IGMP configuration

james.bastnagel
Level 1
Level 1

I currently have 1 nortel 5510 switch connected via ether channel to a 4948 which is then connected to another Nortel 470-48T via a single 1Gb uplink.

Attached to the 5510 is a server that sends multicast traffic for an application and a server connected to the 470 that needs to receive the multicast traffic. I enabled IGMP on all my vlans (the two servers reside in the same vlan) last week and now the client is not receiving that multicast traffic. I have configured vlan 1 on my 4948 to be a member of the multicast group 234.5.6.7.

I can see the multicast traffic coming out of the 5510 switch if I mirror the uplink ports, but if I mirror the ports on the 4948 side, I dont see the traffic actually coming into the switch.

Can anyone point me in the right direction here?

Thank you in advance!

James

1 Reply 1

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I can only help you with the Cisco switch (the beauty of having multi-vendor switches, huh?) but on any L2 Multicast design, you need to have an IGMP Querier. If you haven't done so, configure the Querier on the 4948 switch:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4500/12.2/54sg/configuration/guide/multi.html#wp1044703

Regards,

Edison.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card