Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Help with OSPF and VLans on multi-layer switches

Hi all 

I've got a simple example of 2 routers and 2 Multi-layer switches in the set-up as shown in the attached image. 

I can set up OSPF fine between the 4 devices. My issue is with the two PCs belonging to 2 different Vlans (10 & 20). What do I need to do to make them ping each other successfully? 

The 2 Vlans have been set up correctly. 

Anyone can give me some pointers? 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Is VLAN10 part of area 20 and VLAN20 part of area 30, correct?

I assume your L3 switches have an SVI for VLANs 10 and 20.  Are VLANs 10 and 20 "known" to your OSPF AS?  I.e., are those SVIs included in your OSPF AS?

Do your PCs have gateway IPs defined?  If so, what is the gateway IP?  (I would expect the gateway to be the SVIs on your two L3 switches.

What SVI and/or router ports can your PCs successfully ping?

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Is VLAN10 part of area 20 and VLAN20 part of area 30, correct?

I assume your L3 switches have an SVI for VLANs 10 and 20.  Are VLANs 10 and 20 "known" to your OSPF AS?  I.e., are those SVIs included in your OSPF AS?

Do your PCs have gateway IPs defined?  If so, what is the gateway IP?  (I would expect the gateway to be the SVIs on your two L3 switches.

What SVI and/or router ports can your PCs successfully ping?

Thank you very much Joseph. The SVI's were set to completely wrong IP addresses. I was probably too tired to realize. It is all working now. 

Many thanks

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card