cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Help with separation of sfp and copper in a Switch Configuration

Florts mailbox
Level 1
Level 1

I have several Cisco switches which I want to run 2 sets of LAN IPs on, one set of LAN IPs are distributed from Router1 via ethernet, Router2 via sfp ports.  The root switch is an sg500-52 with 4 optical ports.

What is the best way to keep this traffic separated (copper/optical) at the switches unless there is a specific request to cross IP ranges?

Is there general value in this approach, or can anyone recommend something better?  There are 2 routers plugged into a main switch, one sfp and the other is ether. Whats the best way to config this considering some clients will have an optical direct route from the WAN to the local PC/client?  Wouldnt I want to optimize this?

1 Reply 1

mlund
Level 7
Level 7

The confusion here are that you think sfp and "ethernet" are different things, they are not. Layer 2 ports can be either copper or fiber, both can use different speed, all in Megabit, copper 10/100/1000/10000, fiber 10/100/1000/10000/25000/40000/100000. Copper ports are cheaper and therefore often used on pc and servers, also the length of a copper cable can't be longer than 100 meters. For fiber the length is depending on the sfp type, is it a led or is it a laser, it can be a low power laser or high power laser, those can go up to 40 km probably longer, I have however not used sfp that reaches over 40 km.

For the differentiation between those 2 routers, use different vlans in the switches. For ports connecting different switches use trunk that carries both vlans. If communication is needed between the vlans, I suggest that both routers have ip in each vlan, can be done with the concept of subinterfaces.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card