Views
Helpful
Replies

Helth related issues in working in the server rooms

thiyagu04
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Colleagues, friends and members,

I am new member to this community and I am not sure whether I am posting my question in the right location.

We have just installed the below items for our office in our small IT room size 8'x8' in a office in Sri Lanka:

Meraki MX68 Router/Security Appliance                                    
Meraki MS120-24 1G L2 Cloud Managed 24x GigE Switch  
Meraki MR42 Cloud Managed AP   

I just would like to know whether it is safe to sit and work in this room and whether there are any health related issues in sitting  and working usually around 40hrs per week. 

I appreciate if someone could give me some advise. 

Thanks and regards,

Thiyagendran

3 Replies 3

pieterh
VIP
VIP

the devices come with a safety declaration like this CEDoCMX95.pdf (cisco.com)
which should guarantee the device meets minimum of safety requirements

but a device like the access-point emits RF radiation by design ,
this should conform to the limits set by governments and other public bodies (IEEE, CEE TüV etc)
but when no harmful effect is known, it does not 100% mean there is none, only the manufacturer do not know there is
he can try to keep emissions under specified limits which are at this time declared safe

for the rest, your information is very brief
- how fare away are you from the devices
- are they enclosed in  a cabinet 
- how is the airflow from the device
- is there enough ventilation in the room
- etc

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The first issue that comes my mind would be the sound level and/or sound frequencies above or below normal audible range.

Next would be concerns about EM non-ionizing radiation.  (The potential impact of such isn't always very well known.  Further, it might take decades to find if there is an impact.  In the meantime, you get to be the lab specimen.)

liviu.gheorghe
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hello @thiyagu04 ,

Why choose to work in the server room? Can't you find a place at a desk 10/20/50 meters away from the server room and use remote access protocols like telnet, ssh, http, https to administer the equipment? And only in case of loosing connection with the equipment, you go in the server room and plug in a console cable, fix the problem and go back to your desk.

Hope it helps.

Regards, LG
*** Please Rate All Helpful Responses ***
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card