Views
Helpful
Replies

High bandwidth utilization in IPsec VPN

Haider Raza
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Team,

We are using IPsec VPN tunnel in our two Branch office and i seen high bandwidth utilization.

Kindly let me know, Is IPsec consumes some bandwidth for itself process or not and can we do bandwidth limitation on VPN by Qos....

Please help me get out of this problem.

Reg,

Haider Raza

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Yes, IPSec overhead consumes bandwidth. Can much be done about it? Yes and no. If you configuration is suboptimal, you'll consume more bandwidth but even an optimal configuration is likely to add nearly 100 bytes per packet, which really adds a lot of overhead to small packets.

Can you limit its bandwidth consumption using QoS? That depends. QoS won't have any impact on the overhead per packet, but you might be able to limit VPN bandwidth relative to other non-VPN traffic. (Actually, if you're going to go down that road, you would be better off limiting bandwidth of some applications relative to other applications regardless of whether the traffic was VPN or not. For example, you could have VoIP traffic in both VPN or outside it, and such traffic, generally, shouldn't be bandwidth limited by QoS [beyond call control - i.e. number of calls allowed/accepted].)

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

a.alekseev
Level 7
Level 7
Please provide the configuration of the router with high CPU

Sh run
Sh ip traffic
Sh proc CPU sorted 5min

yes, i will provide you the config but my question is . is IPsec consumes bandwidth to do

@a.alekseev wrote:
Please provide the configuration of the router with high CPU

Sh run
Sh ip traffic
Sh proc CPU sorted 5min

any process or how can we do bandwidth management by Qos ...please let me know.

Hello,

Thanks for sharing the link for study but I don`t have time right now to read entire article so please answer of my question 

1- is IPsec consumes bandwidth to do any process.
2- How can we do bandwidth management by Qos.

Please let me know.

Hi,

Here i attached sh run so please study of my case

Thnks

1. yes
2. it depends on you configuration

Thanks for letting me .

Could you some brief to configure Qos .

Just give me idea to configure the same

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Yes, IPSec overhead consumes bandwidth. Can much be done about it? Yes and no. If you configuration is suboptimal, you'll consume more bandwidth but even an optimal configuration is likely to add nearly 100 bytes per packet, which really adds a lot of overhead to small packets.

Can you limit its bandwidth consumption using QoS? That depends. QoS won't have any impact on the overhead per packet, but you might be able to limit VPN bandwidth relative to other non-VPN traffic. (Actually, if you're going to go down that road, you would be better off limiting bandwidth of some applications relative to other applications regardless of whether the traffic was VPN or not. For example, you could have VoIP traffic in both VPN or outside it, and such traffic, generally, shouldn't be bandwidth limited by QoS [beyond call control - i.e. number of calls allowed/accepted].)
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card