Views
Helpful
Replies

High CPU utilization on Cisco CAT6840

sina.naser
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone 

We have a pair of Cisco CAT6840 using VSS. The CPU are always above 70 percent.

I attached the cpu log.

I appreciate any help

Tnx in advance

4 Replies 4

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@sina.naser wrote:
 175  1310227940   864812880       1515  9.11% 16.41% 16.52%   0 slcp process

What IOS version is the VSS pair on? 

High CPU due to SLCP is a known bug.  SLCP has something to do with the optics used by the line cards.  

If there are any un-used optics, remove or take the optics off the line cards (and not just disable the port).  

Tnx for your reply. The version is 15.5(1)SY1. Can u please tell a bug ID to convice the manager for upgrading the chassis?

The SLCP bug only appeared when we started using 15.5(1)SY.  I do not have the Bug ID number.  

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Well worthwhile determining if your code has a known bug, hopefully fixed.

That aside, 3 things to remember concerning high CPU on a switch.

1) unless it is something like the IP process having the high CPU, data plane continues to forward traffic, normally, regardless of CPU level.

2) software processes generally are prioritized, so a lower priority software process, usually has almost nil impact to any higher prioritized process.

3) although you mention CPU is constantly above 70%, that still leave about a 30% cushion.  So, if the 70% is a fairly consistent usage average, might mean there's little adverse impact.

Now the forgoing, doesn't mean you shouldn't try to resolve this issue, if possible, but also there's a good chance it is not too problematic (not that you said it was).

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card