Views
Helpful
Replies

Home lab on internet

benjaminhogue
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am really just starting out and have a few questions. I bought some used equipment 2801, 3550, an Air 1131AG. I would really like to set all of this up and actually use it in my home. How difficult will it be to use this equipment at home on my cable internet connection?

Regards,

Ben

2 Replies 2

Bilal Nawaz
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hello, this wouldn't be majorly difficult, the stages you may need to consider:

1a) Internet connection to router (how are you going to be getting an IP on there - statically or dynamically)

1b) this depends on 1a, if your router will pick up an address via dhcp then there will automatically be a default route, otherwise you need to statically set a default route.

2) DHCP for clients (with correct options) on the LAN on one of the router interfaces.

3) NAT all outbound traffic to the Internet facing interface using PAT (overload key word)

4) make sure your switch is default for now (you can use vlan 1 access ports to plug your hosts in to)

5) connectivity between router and switch and client (all should be in vlan 1 for basic setup)

This is what I can think of for now.

Hope this helps

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Please rate useful posts & remember to mark any solved questions as answered. Thank you.

Are you asking how to access this lab from the internet? That is really not that difficult, but you need some extra equipment. Here's how I build my lab about 10 years ago:

• Internet-connection was ADSL with 2048 down, 128 up. Worked fine for terminal-sessions. But it was not really a fun for RDP/VNC. Still that worked with some waiting.

• Without a static IP I used dyndns a on an 1802 router with both port-forwarding and clientless SSL-VPN (at the beginning it was a 836 router).

• While practicing you will configure your lab until it won't respond any more (yes, that will happen!). So you should have a power-switch that you can control over IP. That power-switch has to be attached to a switch that has no connectivity to your lab.

• To make sure you don't lose control of your devices you need a console-server. For that I had a 2610 router with a NM-16A async interface.

-- 
Don't stop after you've improved your network! Improve the world by lending money to the working poor:
http://www.kiva.org/invitedby/karsteni

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card