cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How defer ARP entries from mac-table in Frames (package) forwarding

jfonseca24
Level 1
Level 1

Switches, dynamically speaking, change the port assign to a mac-address, but what happen if i have a router with multiple entries in the ip arp table. How can I predict the data flow. This usually happens in a DHCP environment with a short lease period?

3 Replies 3

Bilal Nawaz
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

The question isnt very clear. ARP is the conversion from IP to MAC. If a host is communicating to another and has the correct IP of its peer on a segment, the mac address should become known in normal circumstances via ARP.

Please rate useful posts & remember to mark any solved questions as answered. Thank you.

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I don't follow.

The arp table has the outgoing interface and this tells you which interface it will sent out.

Actually if the router is using CEF it will be adjacency table but it should still be sent out of the same interface.

Jon

I am agree that the question is not clear, actually is a question that Cisco pretended me to answer it. In the output of the show arp in a router shows the same ip in multiple entries and 3 different ports numbers, different Mac-address,  and ask me to predict how or to what port the router will forward the package. I been asking me the same question since I saw the question, I will like to have a good answer.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card