cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How do I make a Cisco port act like a dumb switch?

jmr_snolab
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Folks

I have an old telnet power switch.  When I connect it directly to a Cisco Catalyst C2960X, I cannot ping it.  When I put an unmanaged (dumb) switch in between, I can ping it.  I tried a cross-over cable, but that did not help.  I tried adding the extra config statements, beyond the vlan 52 lines, one at a time to no avail. Here is the config:

switchport access vlan 52
 switchport mode access
 switchport nonegotiate
 power inline never
 speed 10
 duplex half
 no mdix auto
 spanning-tree portfast

How do I make a Cisco port act like a dumb switch?

John M Reynolds

3 Replies 3

chrihussey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Can you define what you mean by a "telnet power switch"?

Also, when you connect it directly to the C2960X, what is the interface status on the Cisco?

It is a WTI TPS-2 network power switch.  We can telnet or ssh into the box to control the power of other devices.  Those devices can be rebooted, powered off, or powered on remotely.  After a power outage, there are settings that permit it to have a delayed start.  From their website:

"Electronic equipment sometimes 'locks-up', requiring a service call just to flip the power switch to do a simple reboot. The TPS-2 Telnet Power Switch gives you the ability to perform this function from anywhere on the LAN/WAN..."

The status is up when connected to the Cisco directly.  The logs did not provide any information either sadly.

Just checking, you tried connecting without all those other configs?

Only -

switchport access vlan 52
 switchport mode access
 spanning-tree portfast

If so, maybe try changing the the auto negotiation to allow only 10Mb

speed auto 10

duplex auto full (or half if you think that may work.)

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card