Views
Helpful
Replies

How Does a Switch Knows About MST Boundary Port

daudparvez
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I have read in ine MST tutorial that a switch does not exchange M-Records out the Boundary Port, i.e, a pot connected to either another MST Region or an STP/RSTP switch.

My question is that how does a switch knows that it's certain port is Boundary Port ? As far as i guess, initially a switch will emit MST BPDU with M-Records, but when it recieves MST BPDU from another Region with a different Region Name, it will mark it's port Boundary and will cease sending M-Records out this port.

Can someone please explain it a bit more ????

Regards,

Daud Parvez                  

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Daud,

You are very correct in your understanding. The switch will indeed start by sending MST BPDUs on all its Designated ports. However, if it receives a MST BPDU that has either a different region name, revision or the MD5 hash of the VLAN-to-instance mapping table, or that is not a MST BPDU at all, the switch will mark the receiving port as a boundary port, knowing that the neighboring switch is configured differently.

Now, if the neighboring switch runs MSTP but in a different region, the switches will continue to send MST BPDUs including the M-records. However, knowing that the neighbor is in a different MST region, both switches will process only the CIST parts of the MST BPDU, ignoring other M-records.

If the neighboring switch runs a different STP version, the MST switch will fall back to using that version on the appropriate port.

Please feel welcome to ask further!

Best regards,

Peter

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Daud,

You are very correct in your understanding. The switch will indeed start by sending MST BPDUs on all its Designated ports. However, if it receives a MST BPDU that has either a different region name, revision or the MD5 hash of the VLAN-to-instance mapping table, or that is not a MST BPDU at all, the switch will mark the receiving port as a boundary port, knowing that the neighboring switch is configured differently.

Now, if the neighboring switch runs MSTP but in a different region, the switches will continue to send MST BPDUs including the M-records. However, knowing that the neighbor is in a different MST region, both switches will process only the CIST parts of the MST BPDU, ignoring other M-records.

If the neighboring switch runs a different STP version, the MST switch will fall back to using that version on the appropriate port.

Please feel welcome to ask further!

Best regards,

Peter

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card