cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How much power does a cisco 3750x 24 port POE switch ACTUALLY use?

abc12309893438
Level 1
Level 1

On the official data sheet it says this:

Capture.PNG

This is incorrect, though. I have a 3750x-24T right here and it's using a steady 42 watts. Given that Cisco's posted number is more than double what I have right in front of me, it would seem that the numbers are heavily overestimated. Am I missing something? Doesn't anyone have a 3750x 24p POE switch power idle readout? I am looking to upgrade the house but 100-150 watts is just too high, imo, to add to my already power hungry group of devices. But if it was more like 50 watts, which is seems is likely given my non poe readout, that seems more attractive. But I'd rather not find out AFTER the purchase. Does anyone know? Thank you.

P.S. My switch doesn't have the 1g uplink module, but I highly doubt that module uses more power than the entire switch. Right?

I'd like to use a 24 port 3750x poe, and I *hope* that it draws around 50 watts (plus POE draw from devices). I would be happy with that. If it's double that, at 100, I think that's probably too much for a switch, since my little 16 port switch only draws 4.9 watts. Going to high 40's (like my 3750x non poe draws) would be acceptable, since I'd get a lot of benefits, but going to 100+, idk, it's a bit much. 

And the numbers have the poe version drawing about 5-6% more than the non poe, so if my calculations are correct, and if it's proportional to my non-poe version, it should draw around 45 watts (without that uplink module). That would be nice. Can anyone confirm? Thanks very much.

P.S. And if it's not too much, perhaps the difference between a 24 to a 48, too? So the 3750x 48 poe idle draw. If that's only a couple more watts then maybe I'll go to that one for headroom, but the chart has it at about a 30% increase and I don't need that many ports now so prob. not worth the upgrade for me. Thanks again.

0 Replies 0
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card