Views
Helpful
Replies

Portfast and bpduguard

Asif.oxy
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am little confuse in portfast and bpduguard concepts, i know when it is enter at interface level it transition the port to forwarding state(portfast) and if bpdu is received on port it is put in errdisable state(bpduguard), but i am not getting the concept when it is entered globally means if I say spanning-tree portfast default does it affect my trunk port and i have to explicitly say no spanning-tree portfast on my trunk port or not, same goes for spanning-tree portfast bpduguard default

does i need to specify no for trunk ports or not? please help!

Thanks

Asif 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

packet tracer when i enable 

Asi i know The tool for Lab get familiar with the soft features, you can not simulate/emulate  100% feature of hardware behavior.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Mohsin Alam
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The spanning-tree portfast default global configuration mode command enables PortFast on all non-trunking interfaces. 

At the global level, you enable BPDU guard on Port Fast-enabled ports by using the spanning-tree portfast bpduguard default global configuration command.

So in a nutshell you don't have to use the no commands on trunk. 

## Make sure to mark post as helpful, If it resolved your issue. ##

Hi Mohsiala,

I read the same answer on cisco press but i have noticed unusual behavior in packet tracer when i enable portfast and bpduguard at global level my existing trunk ports are put in err-disable state so i posted query in community, so is this packet tracer glitch or i am doing something wrong looking forward for your response.

packet tracer when i enable 

Asi i know The tool for Lab get familiar with the soft features, you can not simulate/emulate  100% feature of hardware behavior.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Packet tracer has some limitations and glitches always try in GNS or EVE! 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card