Views
Helpful
Replies

How to add vlans over trunk port and port channal

sumanitccna
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I have to implement some configuration on below details .

1. How to add more than one vlan over  Cisco switch 4500 trunk port. ( existing vlan also will be there )

2. I have 2 4500 switch trunked and port channel also there .

So my question is that do i need to add those new Vlans over trunk port and port channel also ?

Looking for reply 

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

pwwiddicombe
Level 4
Level 4

It depends on your existing configuration.  If you haven't specified WHICH vlans are allowed, they would be carried by default.  If not, then you have to add the new vlans to the trunk definition.

As far as new vlans go, it also depends.  IF you have VTP set up, you really only have to create the new vlan on one of the VTP master switches (probably your 4500) and the definition will propogate to the other switches.   If not, you then have to declare the new vlans on each switch that would need them.

View solution in original post

Hello

The command to add an additional vlan to and existing single or aggregate port-channel pruned trunk the command would be:

switchport trunk allowed vlan add x

Note:- For port-channel you apply the above to the port-channel interface -NOT the physical interfaces for the aggregate

res

Paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

pwwiddicombe
Level 4
Level 4

It depends on your existing configuration.  If you haven't specified WHICH vlans are allowed, they would be carried by default.  If not, then you have to add the new vlans to the trunk definition.

As far as new vlans go, it also depends.  IF you have VTP set up, you really only have to create the new vlan on one of the VTP master switches (probably your 4500) and the definition will propogate to the other switches.   If not, you then have to declare the new vlans on each switch that would need them.

Hi All,

Thanks for your support .

Need to clear some more thing here.

1. My both the DST ( Core ) Switches are on VTP transparent mode. So do i need to add all the new vlan add over both the switches ?

2. Both the switches are connect to WLC via port channel and i want those vlan to be added to WLC also .

so do i need to add all the vlans over port channel interface  

With VTP Transparent, you would have to add the VLAN's to each switch you want them on (and I believe all intermediate ones as well, if you have them).

Again, IF you have specified the VLAN's allowed on a trunk, you would have to add them on both sides.  If you didn't specify, then all VLAN's are allowed by default.

Hello

The command to add an additional vlan to and existing single or aggregate port-channel pruned trunk the command would be:

switchport trunk allowed vlan add x

Note:- For port-channel you apply the above to the port-channel interface -NOT the physical interfaces for the aggregate

res

Paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Correct

Before without vlan 10

interface Port-channel 7 

switchport trunk allowed vlan 2,3,4,5,6

switchport mode trunk

exit 

AFTER [see adding vlan 10]

interface Port-channel 7 

switchport trunk allowed vlan 2,3,4,5,6

switchport mode trunk