cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to allow communications between network segments

Ryanmatthew23
Level 1
Level 1

I have a WAN router that's on 172.x.x.x segment, and another WAN router that's on a 147.x.x.x segments.

How can I make them communicate, I would like to interconnect both segments to talk to each other.

We are using a Cisco 2800 on both segments.                  

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Ryan

You have not told us whether these segments that the routers connect on are to their inside (private) networks or are to their outside (public/Internet) networks. And you have not told us what other interfaces and networks they have. A reasonable answer to your question of how to make the segments talk can not be given until we have a better understanding of your network environment. It would be a good start if you would post a simple diagram showing the routers and the networks to which they connect.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Cable the 2 2800 routers together using copper or fiber.  Verify that the physical link is in UP and UP mode in both devices. Assign and IP address to each device (same IP segment) and ping to test the connectivity.

HTH

This will be a fiber link, we are using Metro E I will contact the Metro E provider.

Also, each WAN router will have a different segment, does this matter?

One remote site will be on a 172.x.x.x segment, and the other will be on 147.x.x.x segment.

Is there anything I need to enable to make the two segments talk?

Ryan

You have not told us whether these segments that the routers connect on are to their inside (private) networks or are to their outside (public/Internet) networks. And you have not told us what other interfaces and networks they have. A reasonable answer to your question of how to make the segments talk can not be given until we have a better understanding of your network environment. It would be a good start if you would post a simple diagram showing the routers and the networks to which they connect.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

I'm sorry Richard to simplify my question, I have one WAN router located at (location A) on the following segment 147.x.x.x, and another WAN router at (location B) that I would like on the following segment 172.x.x.x, they will both be connected via Metro E\MAN circuit to allow resource access from one location to the other. Both routers will talk to the Metro E Ce circuit to communicate back and forth, I wanted to know if I need to enable any special protocols on the WAN routers for seamless communications between the two routers other than bridging the ports? Behind each WAN router they will be a Cisco Catalyst 2960 switches, this will go into our patch panel. So the routers are not necessarily facing the internet, but rather the two Metro E fiber circuits that are plugged into the routers. I hope this helps.

Ryan

Thanks for the additional information. But I am still not understanding your environment. I believe that you are telling us that both routers are connected on a Metro E circuit. But in my experience if two routers are connected on a Metro E connection then both routers would have interfaces in a common subnet. But that does not seem to be what you are describing.  Any clarification would be appreciated.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

If the Metro-E provider is connected to you using layer-2, than you routers have to be in the same segment.  If the provider is connected to you using layer-3, than you can use both 147.x.x.x and 172.x.x.x. segments.  Is the case of layer-3, you would need to peer with the provider and whatever protocol you agree on using.  You could also use static routes with the provider.  It depends on the provider's policy.

As Rick said, if you can provide a diagram, it would be helpful.

HTH

Thanks for all your help, but I figured the best way to get this answered was to goto the Metro E provider. So this is what they are recommeding, the two Layer 3\Router devices will be on the same segment for communication purposes, the the two layer 2\switch devices behind the routers will have seperate vlans to define a different segment. So the segments will be setup on the switches instead of the routers.

Ryan

Thanks for the update. I think it was a wise choice to talk with the provider since they are the ones with the best understanding of your network environment. And I believe that their advice was good. Putting the routers on a common subnet and putting the unique subnets on vlans on the switches makes good sense to me.

HTH

Rick

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card