cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to config the GPEC Gig ethernet Fibre as Single mode on Cisco Switch?

magyshanks2020
Level 1
Level 1

I just installed the GPEC.. i want to config it on the cisco switch  as Single mode but

i forgot the codes.. can anyone help?

My Switch got 24 interfaces and 2 Gig ethernet (the Fibre Gpec)

each fibre Gpec has Rx and Tx

Cisco Catalyst 3500 Series XL WS-C3548-XL-EN

gpec 5486

14 Replies 14

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Sorry, your question is unclear. SM (or MM) is the nature of the fiber (also what the transceiver can work with). The only configuration command, that comes to my mind, is on some devices you have one logical port using two physical ports, usually copper and fiber, and you may need to configure which one is to be used.

how to  configure which one is to be used.?

what are the codes?

My Switch got 24 enterfaces and 2 Gig ethernet (the Fibre Gpec)

each fibre Gpec has Rx and Tx

Generally, for switches with a bank of copper Ethernet ports, and separate fiber ports, they don't share a logical port assignment. For example, your copper ports might be something like gig0/1 to gig0/24 and the fiber ports gig1/1 and gig1/2. If so, connecting the correct fiber (or fiber transceiver) might be all you need to do.

BTW, what's the actual hardware?

Cisco Catalyst 3xxx Switch hardware .. yes  my copper ports might be something like gig0/1 to gig0/24 and the fiber ports gig1/1 and gig1/2.. what are the codes?
How to know if i am connecting the Correct fiber transceiver?

is there the table for the compatible transceiver for each switch brand ? where can i find it?

Well, if you provide the actual/specific hardware, not just the series, I, or others, might be able to help further.

Cisco Catalyst 3500 Series XL WS-C3548-XL-EN

gpec 5486

Ah, sorry, that switch is so old, I cannot find any documentation for it, on Cisco's site, beyond:

Cisco Catalyst 3548 XL Switch - Retirement Notification

The Cisco Catalyst 3548 XL Switch is now obsolete (past End-of-Life and End-of-Support status).

End-of-Sale Date: 2002-07-27

End-of-Support Date: 2007-07-28

Let's keep it general. Do u have the documentation for any model of. Cisco
switch. It should match

Documentation match - well, yes and no. Much depends on what version of IOS is on your 3500, and even then, commands sometimes change across different versions. (In fact, sometimes when you upgrade, the IOS will change "old" commands to "new" commands, but that doesn't happen for downgrades.)

For port configuration documentation, if Cisco still has early version 3560/3750 (do you know where to look for that?), that might be somewhat/very similar to a 3500's, although I believe your 3500 fiber gig ports are GBICs, while I recall 3560/3750 fiber ports are SFPs (BTW, you understand you don't need to have same transceiver on both sides of a fiber link, although, generally, they need to support the same fiber protocol). (For either, though, if you insert the correct fiber transceiver, and attach the correct fiber with something compatible on the other side of the fiber link, fiber link should work.)

Version 12.0(5.2)XU .. i just want it to run as single ,mode

I recall (?) that's not the latest version, but possible "new" enough.  (Sometimes you need specific IOS versions to support specific optimal modules.)  Also again, using SM first depends on using optical transceivers that work with SM, and second, I recall (?) you might only need to plug the GBIC into the slot.  By default, the port might already be enabled.

How do I know if it's working as SM¿¿?

If working, interface should go up/up.

i made the configuration on the server switch 

switch port mode trunk

switch encaplscuilation dot 1 q

ip dhcp snooping trust

spanning tree portfast

on the client switch

switch port mode trunk

switch encaplscuilation dot 1 q

ip dhcp snooping trust

spanning tree portfast