cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to copy the image to the ACTIVE bootflash in Catalyst 6000 / 6500 series switches with redundant supervisors

Hi, 

I recently reemplace a Supervisor card (2T) and I found that the Cisco IOS  on Active and Standby Supervisor does not match hence it affects redundancy.

I´m not sure, how to copy IOS from Active supervisor to Stanby Supervisor...

I´ll try to realize this process:

1.- Router_6800#copy bootdisk:s2t54-advipservicesk9-mz.SPA.152-1.SY0a.bin slavebootdisk:

2.- Now, what should i do to change de bootvar ????? help, thanks

SH REDUNDANCY.JPG

Router_6800#sh bootvar
BOOT variable = bootdisk:,1;
CONFIG_FILE variable does not exist
BOOTLDR variable does not exist
Configuration register is 0x2102

Standby BOOT variable = bootdisk:,1;
Standby CONFIG_FILE variable =
Standby BOOTLDR variable =
Standby Configuration register is 0x2102

thansks...

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
In addition to what Reza already noted (i.e. you shouldn't need to update you bootvar), since your bootvar doesn't name the file, you also need to insure the file you copy over will agree with your bootvar (i.e. it will be the first bootable image on the bootdisk) when that sup becomes active.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

Now, what should i do to change de bootvar ????? help, thanks

You should not need to change the boot variable on the backup sup as it only applies to the active sup and the active sup will push it to the backup sup.  Once you load the IOS in the backup sup, reboot and it should come up as the stand-by switch.  You can check with "show redund"

HTH

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
In addition to what Reza already noted (i.e. you shouldn't need to update you bootvar), since your bootvar doesn't name the file, you also need to insure the file you copy over will agree with your bootvar (i.e. it will be the first bootable image on the bootdisk) when that sup becomes active.
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card