Views
Helpful
Replies

how to deploy appropriate switches to branch office

gthanigachalam
Level 1
Level 1

hi..

pls assist me, which one model switch suitable to my branch office network.

before that, generally what kind of parameters we should consider to choose switch (core level) for our network.

my office strength,

end user - above 500

server - 1 mail server, 1 FTP server, 1 Database server

pls let me know the suitable core switch and also suitable uplink module (like 1G, 10G).

i have expecting your valuable reply. thank you...

5 Replies 5

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What is the budget?

budget is not issue.. but i need the suitable solution.

budget is not issue

Unfortunately, budget will determine what specific model of switch.  Layer 2 or Layer 3.  Chassis-based or appliance based.  LAN Base image or IP Base image.  Stacking or non-stacking.  1G, 10G, 40G, 100G.  

end user - above 500

Floor density?  How many people per floor?  Dimension of the floor?  >100 metres?

devils_advocate
Level 7
Level 7

500 people is a fairly large branch office.

Realistically you have two options, something chassis based or two stacks.

As Leo has said, we need more information really.

500 users means you need at least 11x 48 ports of 'something' which can either be line cards in chassis or two separate stacks if you are looking at the 3850 range. 

Like most answers, it depends.

Chassis tend to cost more but give more flexibility. 

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
hi..pls assist me, which one model switch suitable to my branch office network.before that, generally what kind of parameters we should consider to choose switch (core level) for our network.my office strength,end user - above 500server - 1 mail server, 1 FTP server, 1 Database serverpls let me know the suitable core switch and also suitable uplink module (like 1G, 10G).i have expecting your valuable reply. thank you...

Hello,

Cost is one factor which actually plays a major role in solutioning. But at high level as considering the requirement of 500 users access port with buffer of 5% design. You may need think with two layer design collapsed core. With either N5k *2 ( Layer 3 licence)  and N2K *10 extender (48 1G).

Each N5k can have 5 FEX associated and 5k itself would be having on board port which can also do role of access.

Your N5k is heart of your network which would be doing L3 and L2 functionality for inbound and outbound traffic flow.

Hope it Helps..

-GI

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card