Views
Helpful
Replies

How to link a Cisco switch to another account

heinzschott1
Level 1
Level 1
Hello everybody,

I've received a used 48 port 19" Cisco switch as a gift.

Would it be possible that a new/another Cisco partner/reseller can link/bind/register this switch (for instance by entering the serial number) to his account/contract (to gain access to service or support features)?

Has the former Cisco partner/reseller to agree to let this happen and does he get a notification, that the switch/device was linked/bound/registered to another account/contract? 

Thank you very much in advance.
2 Replies 2

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

I am not sure if this is possible, as you did not purchase the switch from a re-seller. Now, if the person who gave you this as a gift purchased it with a SmartNet contract, you can have him transfer it to you, so you can gain access to support.

HTH 

Pretty clearly the original poster is looking to get access to support features (SmartNet) for the switch that he was given. He suggests a scenario in which a partner/reseller adds his switch to their SmartNet. Pretty clearly that is not going to work. I believe that there is a process in which you can request (and purchase) SmartNet for a device that you have acquired. That would seem to achieve what the original poster is looking for. I do not know what this program costs but assume that it is expensive enough that it would not be attractive for an individual. You can see some details of the program in this link

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/hw-sw-relicensing-program.html

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card