cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How To Make a Static Route A More Prefered Route Over Directly Connected

Dan Man
Level 1
Level 1

I have a need for traffic to a certain 10.x.x.x network to take another path to get to it.  Unfortunately, EIGRP was set up where the entire 10.0.0.0/8 network was used.  With directly connected networks taking precedence, the static route is not used.  Instead of going through EIGRP, and reconfiguring it with all of the pertinent networks (and leave off the network that will use the static route), is there a different way to do this?  Thanks for any help!                  

7 Replies 7

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If all the traffic to the specific network arrives on the same interface you could use PBR to override the routing table for the specific traffic eg.

access-list 101 permit ip any 10.10.11.0 0.0.0.255

route-map PBR permit 10

match ip address 101

set ip next-hop x.x.x.x  

and then apply the route-map to interface the traffic arrives on.

Jon

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Dan

If the router is seeing the routes as directly connected then this is not an EIGRP issue.  A static route will always take precedence over an EIGRP learned route.

Perhaps you could clarify ?

Jon

Jon,

Thanks for your reply!  I completely forgot about the use of PBR's.  They do take precedence!  This particular VLAN hangs directly off of the L3 switch that I need to add the PBR to.  So it's not really learned, and is directly connected.  Hope that clarifies a bit better.  Again, thanks for your help!

Dan

That makes more sense.

PBR it is then.

Jon

Jon,

Awesome!  The only thing I have to do is set the SDM template to routing so that I can add the policy to the VLAN!  Perfect suggestion!

Jan Hrnko
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Dan,

I don't know what exactly your situation is but if you want to make a route more preferred, bear in mind that longest match is always considered to be better. So you can make static route more preferred even over the directly connected just by typing in more specific routes.

Best regards,

Jan

Jan,

Thanks for the reply!  That's another good option!  I could use this option for testing the static routes, until I can get the PBR put into place!  Thank you!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: