cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to make the switch load the start config from USB?

birulindmitr
Level 1
Level 1

Hello team.

Please give me a link to instruction for switch load the start config from USB? Can I configure switch so that it booting startup-config from USB, not from NV-RAM?

Many thanks.

12 Replies 12

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Hmm, I don't recall a way to determine location of config file at/for startup.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Cisco's new PnP or the old-school ZeroTouch (IOS version dependent).

Leo Laohoo, Please send me a link for this procedure?

What is the model of the switch(es)?

For example, WS-C2960C-8TC-L

Leo Laohoo, How long does it take to answer a question?

Many thanks.

Thanks for your answer, but my question is different: the customer want to load startup-config from local USB flash stick which is located in the USB port of the switch. TFTP server or else remote load not suitable fpr him.

Are there any switch configuration options with this local boot method?

If someone, at the remote end, is smart enough to plug a USB stick into the switch, then that same person should be smart enough to console into the switch and issue the command "copy usbflash0:config_filename.txt start".

Did I understand correctly: loading in this mode is impossible?

@birulindmitr wrote:

Did I understand correctly: loading in this mode is impossible?

Just think about it:  

You get a fresh router/switch from a box.  Plug a USB stick in and power up the appliance.  

1.  How will the appliance know which file to load? 

2.  How is this method constitute as a "security risk"?  

What you're client wants to do is configure a new switch straight from the depot.  The only way is to use PnP, Zero Touch Smart Install or manually.  

Hello.

Comments about security risks are accepted.

To summarize, I additionally found the following information regarding such a boot option:

2960C, Cisco IOS Release 15.2(4)E  - Chapter "Specifying the Filename to Read and Write the System Configuration"

Cisco IE 2000 Software Configuration Guide, Release 15.0(1)EY - chapter «Performing Switch Setup Configuration» --> “Modifying the Startup Configuration”

Cisco IE 3000 Switch Software Configuration Guide, Release 15.0(2)EY and Later

- chapter “Assigning the Switch IP Address and Default Gateway” --> “Modifying the Startup Configuration” --> “Specifying the Filename to Read and Write the System Configuration”

we can load the startup config from the flash drive using the command "boot config-file flash: / file-url command"

For switches Catalyst 9000 series - System Management Configuration Guide, Cisco IOS XE Gibraltar 16.12.x (Catalyst 9200 Switches)):

- Software Boot Modes --> Installed Boot Mode -->

You can boot your device in installed mode by booting the software package provisioning file that resides in flash:

Switch: boot flash:packages.conf

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card