Views
Helpful
Replies

How to Make 'vtp primary' persistent after IOS upgrade/reboot switch

johnlloyd_13
Level 9
Level 9

hi,

i just performed an IOS upgrade and got a report that admin can't create L2 VLANs.

i noticed the 'vtp primary force' and 'vtp primary mst' was applied to one of the core switch and perhaps got lost after the upgrade.

how to keep the VTP primary persistent on the switch after a reboot? i don't like upgrading a switch not noticing it had these commands in the background.

2 Replies 2

Hello @johnlloyd_13 

VTP 3 primary server switch is the only place you can manually change the vtp database no other vtp server switch can perform this function it's the safe guard against rogue vtp server -client switch being attached to the network and unintentionally re writing the vtp database as in vtp3 you cannot reset the revision number manually like you can in earlier to versions.

Now after a reload of the primary vtp server i think if i remember correctly you need to once again force that switch to be the primary as it comes back online as a secondary vtp server this will update the vtp estate.again or you could force a re-election to another switch.

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

johnlloyd_13
Level 9
Level 9

hi,

it looks like it's by design in VTPv3.

it's unfortunate i would need need to set again the said commands each time i perform an IOS upgrade or switch reboots.

https://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3850/software/release/3.2_0_se/multibook/configuration_guide/b_consolidated_config_guide_3850_chapter_0100000.html#ID94

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card