cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to remove port from vlan in CATOS

ahmad82pkn
Level 2
Level 2

Hi, i have two ports configured trunk in CATOS.

by mistake its been put in Vlan 5 as well.

How can i revoke this change? or remove these ports 1/1 and 1/2 from vlan 5?

here is what my config showing.

set vlan 5    1/1-2  ( dont want this )

set trunk 1/1  desirable dot1q 1-1005

set trunk 1/2  desirable dot1q 1-1005

2 Replies 2

Arumugam Muthaiah
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

• It is essential to reassign the membership of the ports of a VLAN to another VLAN before removing the VLAN from the switch.

• issue the set vlan vlan_number mod/ports command and place the ports in a different VLAN.This removal is essentially what happens when you assign a port to any VLAN because all ports initially belong to VLAN 1.

Example:
Force the port to VLAN 1 (assuming that is your default/native VLAN). If port 1/2 was set to a VLAN 5 and you wanted to remove it, just type below and this will remove from the current vlan

CatosSwitch> (enable)set vlan 1 1/2

• If you want to delete the vlan 5, Issue the clear vlan command in order to delete a VLAN. The ports are deactivated because they remain a part of that VLAN, and the VLAN no longer exists. The switch displays a warning and gives you the opportunity to cancel the current request.

Example

CatosSwitch> (enable)clear vlan 5

This command will deactivate all ports on vlan 5
in the entire management domain.
Do you want to continue(y/n) [n]? y

Vlan 5 deleted

Note: Ports are not displayed in the output of the show vlan command (which was assigned to vlan 5) because the removal of VLAN 5 deactivates these ports. The ports are not displayed until you add them back in another VLAN

Refer:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk389/tk689/technologies_configuration_example09186a008009478e.shtml#remove2

Regards,

Aru

*** Please rate if the post is useful ***

Regards, Aru *** Please rate if the post useful ***

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Ahmad82pkn,

the combination of commands in CATOS change the native vlan to vlan 5 on trunk ports 1/1 and 1/2.

The ports will act as trunk but a mismatch in native vlan may happen with remote side.

If you want to have the native vlan set to default value, vlan 1, all you need to do is

set vlan 1 1/1-2

In CATOS there isn't an explicit command for setting the native vlan on trunks (at least in versions 6.x. 7.x that I have used) so the association to a vlan of a trunk port is used to tell the switch what is the native vlan.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card