cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to show arp table in 8500 series router?

I used to be able to do a "show arp vrf all | inc x.x.x.x in the 9000 series routers. We recently switched over to 8500 series. It appears I can't do that command. Is there a work around?

7 Replies 7

Try use 

Show arp vrf *

If  "all" not work

MHM

Sorry, That doesn't work. If someone has experience with the 8500 series, that would be great.

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello @steven-l-letterly-civ ,

use

show ip vrf

to get a list of  configured VRFs on the device then you need to issue

show arp vrf <vrf-name> | inc x.x.x.x

for each vrf-name in the list

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Thank you. But, I want to include the mac address instead of IP address. I should have posed question differently. There is no way to know which VRF with just a MAC address.

Enes Simnica
Level 1
Level 1

Good day to you @steven-l-letterly-civ 

In the Cisco 8500 series routers, the command syntax might differ slightly from the 9000 series. If you are looking for ARP entries in a specific VRF and you used to use show arp vrf all | inc x.x.x.x, you can try the following alternative commands to achieve similar results:

1. Check the ARP entries in a specific VRF: show ip arp vrf <vrf-name> | include x.x.x.x
  1. If you want to see all ARP entries across all VRFs: show ip arp summary | include x.x.x.x
  1. If you are specifically interested in ARP entries for a particular interface: show ip arp interface <interface-name> | include x.x.x.x

The exact command can vary depending on the software version and specific configurations on your 8500 series routers. 

Now, If these commands do not work, you may want to refer to the following websites (

Both versions maintain a professional tone and clear direction):

1. https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/routers/catalyst-8500-series-edge-platforms/products-installation-and-configuration-guides-list.html

2. https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/routers/catalyst-8500-series-edge-platforms/datasheet-c78-744089.html

Additionally, you can try exploring available commands by using the help feature: show ip arp ?

Hope this was helpful, and feel free to reach out if the issue persists.

E.S

Hello. So, when I do "show ip arp summary" it shows 15446 IP ARP entries, 233 of them incomplete. That is all. No table. When a do a "show ip arp <vrf-name> | inc <IP address>, that doesn't work either.

friend 
I will give you a trick here
do 
show ? <<- do you see arp ? if no then do 
show ip ? <<- you see arp here sure if above not show that then do
show ip arp ? <<- do you see ALL or vrf if vrf do 
show ip arp vrf ? <<- are router ask name enter name then do 
show ip arp vrf <> ? <<- do you see | if yes add it 
show ip arp vrf <> | etc....

this trick you can use in any cisco platfrom no need more ask about command anymore

MHM

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card