Views
Helpful
Replies

How to use gateway on a separate network

theincredibleaf
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I've just started out playing with a Cisco 1800 router to gain some knowledge of Cisco devices before taking a CCNA. I also have a 2950 switch but will start with the router.

I'm using an Android phone as a wireless Internet access point.  This issues IP addresses by DHCP in the 192.168.43.x range with 255.255.255.0 subnet.

Also I have a Linksys WRT54G router running DD-WRT firmware acting as a wireless bridge to the Android phone, and it has 4 LAN ports.

This bridge is up and running and I have successfully connected my laptop to the Linksys for testing and can use the Internet provided by the phone.

Connected to the Linksys is a Cisco 1800 router.

Connected to the router is my Citrix XenServer PC and a NAS box.

The XenServer and NAS are on another network 07.05.19.x range with 255.0.0.0 subnet using their own static IPs. One of the virtual clients on the XenServer will be a DHCP server to service other virtual clients.  All still in the 07.05.19.x range.

Basically I want the devices on the 07.05.19.x IP range to be able to use the Internet gateway at 192.168.43.1 to access the Internet.

How would I set up my 1800 to achieve this?

Also, am I right in understanding that the 1800 will ignore DHCP leases from the Android phone due to it being a Layer 3 device.

I'm pretty new to all this so any help will be appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

4 Replies 4

cadet alain
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

hosts must have their default-gateway on same subnet and yes the 1800 will ignore the DHCP packets and won't forward the local broadcast packets. It may forward  unicast packets though if it has a route to destination.

Can you provide a topology diagram to get things clearer.

Regards.

Alain

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

Hi cadet alain...Thanks for the reply.

A while back, the network analyst at work explained how I can achieve what I want in an overview fashion with some diagrams, but without specifics on which CLI commands to issue on the router.

He also told me to avoid physical Visio diagrams and create logical ones instead. I believe logical diagrams depict the flow of traffic instead of specific devices on the network, but I'm a newbie to all this and my brain works better on seeing pictures of the devices responsible for the different tasks on the network.  For now at least anyway.

This is a basic overview of how I imagine my network, but please feel free to highlight errors or fill in the gaps.  For example, on the Citrix side of the bridge I wasn't sure of the sub netting so I left it blank.

Like I said, any help would be grateful from anyone that can point me in the right direction in solving this problem.

Also I was wondering if the CCNA exam has problems more complicated than this to solve?

PS. One other thing. It's not essential for my laptop to be able to communicate with other side of the bridge as I can plug it into the router. It would be nice but not essential. Cheers.

PPS. Also, the Linksys Wireless Bridge is only wireless connected to the AP. The bridge is connected by wire to the router. You knew that already but I wanted to be clear. I'll shut up now

Any routing experts out there that can help?

Hi,

to which port of 1841 are all devices connected including the linksys bridge ?

Which device is performing the NAT?

Regards.

Alain

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card