cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

how to use vlan 23

petercinvest
Level 1
Level 1

I have switch 2 and switch 3, I found in the system we have vlan 23, 211, 209 and assign ip address. but all my access ports are using vlan 211,209, trunk port are not using vlan.

so my question is how can vlan 23 be used?

also my switch 2 and switch 3 are both using vtp transaparent mode, the MD5 in sh vtp status is different, how can I make MD5 to be equal, thanks

3 Replies 3

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

We do not have much information here to work with. We do not know what model of switch this is and do not know much about how it is configured. If we had better information then we might be able to supply better answers.

I do not understand your statement that trunk port are not using vlan. Can you clarify? Perhaps the output of show interface trunk from the switches might help with this.

If both switches are using vtp transparent mode then they are not exchanging vtp information with each other. So it does not matter that the MF5 values are different. Do you want these switches to exchange vtp information?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

sh int trunk shows using dot1q trunk, vlan allowed from 1 to 4094, certainly including vlan 23, so this vlan 23 is a SVI, but it never used in any access port, my question is for SVI, if not using in access port, what can they be used for, this is under web IOU.

for VTP configuration, I agree with you, my another question is I configured VTP domain abcd, but it is not shown in running config. how can it be in running config?

devils_advocate
Level 7
Level 7

Im not sure how we could tell if VLAN 23 is being used based on the information here.

Trunk ports by default carry all VLANS so assuming you haven't manually pruned the VLANS, you would see all active vlans on a trunk port.

If you have switches 2 and 3, is there a switch 1? Perhaps there are ports in VLAN23 on this switch?

Realistically we have no way of knowing if you are using VLAN23 for anything based on the information provided.

Check to see if you have any access ports in vlan 23.
Check the arp cache for vlan 23 IP addresses
Check the MAC address table for any vlan 23 mac addresses
Put a port in VLAN23, plug a laptop in and run an IP scanner. 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card