Views
Helpful
Replies

how to view the IP address of static devices

afsharki2
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

When you want to view DHCP IP addresses of devices on a certain switch, there are a few ways of doing that.  You can do "sh ip dhcp snooping binding" ..or "sh ip device tracking" right there on that switch to view the IP addresses.  All these options are great but only show DHCP leased IP addresses.  What if there are devices on the network that have built in static IP addresses?  How can i view their IP addresses without going to the Distribution switch and doing "sh ip arp" and matching the MAC address?  I want to know if there is a command that you can type right there on that access layer switch that will show you the IP address of that statically configured device

Thanks in advance for the help!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The nature of a layer 2 switch is that it has very little information about layer 3 activity on the switch. If there was no DHCP traffic that can be observed (and therefore have some information about layer 3 addressing) then the layer 2 switch has no knowledge about the IP address of a statically addressed device connected to the switch. I do not know of any command that you can use on the layer 2 access switch that would tell you about the IP address of a statically configured device which is connected to that switch.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The nature of a layer 2 switch is that it has very little information about layer 3 activity on the switch. If there was no DHCP traffic that can be observed (and therefore have some information about layer 3 addressing) then the layer 2 switch has no knowledge about the IP address of a statically addressed device connected to the switch. I do not know of any command that you can use on the layer 2 access switch that would tell you about the IP address of a statically configured device which is connected to that switch.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

I am glad that my answer was helpful. Thank you for using the rating system to mark this question as answered. This will help other readers in the forum to identify discussions that have helpful information.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card