cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How would I set up HRSP from a core layer 3 switch to 2 routers ?

WhiskeyHughes
Beginner
Beginner

I am currently in the process of trying to revamp my COLO Cab's network design.  My goal is to have all of my VLAN Interfaces set up on a core switch and then set up routed interfaces from the core switch to 2 routers, using GLBP, VRRP, or HSRP. (Still haven't decided which one.) The reason I have decided to use only one core switch, is because no matter what, I will have a single point of failure in my network design because all of my sites are connected to our COLO by a Metro E connection, which terminates into a single connection in my cab. (Which would plug into the core switch)    

The problem I am running in to when designing this in GNS3, is when I try to set up both of the routed interfaces on the core switch, I get an error because they are on overlapping subnets. Is it even possible for this to work without setting the connections from the switch to the router as Layer 2? I really don't want to use Router on a Stick. 

Thanks!  

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame Master Hall of Fame Master
Hall of Fame Master

When you have routed interfaces, you can't assign the same subnet to 2 different interfaces. So what you see is the correct behavior.  You can change the /29 to 2 /30s.  This way you don't see overlapping subnets. Or make the switch layer-2 only and run HSRP between the 2 routers. Since you have 2 different ISPs, I think running HSRP between the routers with switch as layer-2 only would work fine.

HTH

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame Master Hall of Fame Master
Hall of Fame Master

When you have routed interfaces, you can't assign the same subnet to 2 different interfaces. So what you see is the correct behavior.  You can change the /29 to 2 /30s.  This way you don't see overlapping subnets. Or make the switch layer-2 only and run HSRP between the 2 routers. Since you have 2 different ISPs, I think running HSRP between the routers with switch as layer-2 only would work fine.

HTH

Reza, 

Thanks so much for the prompt reply! So if I wanted to use two /30 connections from the switch to routers, how would I make HSRP work? Is that still a possibility, or does that rule out HSRP? 

Thanks, 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Recognize Your Peers