cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

HSRP Aware PM on Nexus

bruce.thornton
Level 1
Level 1

I have primary and secondary Nexus setup that supports HSRP failover for SVIs. I have enabled PIM mulitcast, but now need to have the PIM in a HSRP backup. Please look at example below and let me know if this is correct:

rimary-Nexus
interface Loopback0
no ip redirects
ip address 10.11.3.33/29
standby 54 ip 10.11.3.38
standby 54 timers 5 15
standby 54 priority 120
standby 54 name PIM-HSRP
ip pim redundancy PIM-HSRP dr-priority 60
no shutdown

Secondary-Nexus
interface Loopback0
no ip redirects
ip address 10.11.3.34/29
standby 54 ip 10.11.3.38
standby 54 timers 5 15
standby 54 priority 110
standby 54 name PIM-HSRP
ip pim redundancy PIM-HSRP dr-priority 60
no shutdown

What would I define as the RP on the Primary and Secondary Nexus.

What IP address would I define on other devices that need to particpate in multicast.

1 Reply 1

Hi @bruce.thornton,

Unfortunately, HSRP aware PIM is a feature not supported on the Nexus family of Switches (Cisco NX-OS).

In other words, the command ip pim redundancy is not available in your Nexus.

HSRP and HSRP aware PIM are features usually configured on interface VLANs. I am making this observation since in your configs you are showing them under interface loopbacks.

In my opinion, for PIM neighbor adjacencies between a 3rd network device and your pair of Nexus, the best approach is use Layer 3 links. With this I mean, one L3 link connecting the 3rd network device and Nexus-1 and another L3 link connecting the same 3rd network device and Nexus-2. This approach does not require interface VLANs since connectivity between the pair of Nexus and the 3rd network device uses IP addresses configured on physical L3 interfaces (or sub-interfaces) where you also configure the ip pim sparse-mode command for PIM neighbor adjacencies.

Talking about redundancy in multicast, if you are thinking in configuring your pair of Nexus as the PIM Rendezvous Points, you can configure your pair of Nexus using the Anycast-RP approach which is totally doable and recommended in my opinion.

Here an useful doc about this last point:

Anycast RP using PIM (Nexus)

I hope this helps.

Best Regards.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card