Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

HSRP confusions)

Hello to Everyone

I am currently practicing Hot Standby Router Protocol(HSRP) in packet tracer (I uploaded packet tracer file here)to provide redundancy in network. I configured network routers ,host and server with ip addresses ,hsrp and routing protocol ospf to provide path to server. And R2 is chosen as active router due to its high ip address(priorities in R1 and R1 are 105 same).The virtual ip address of routers is 192.168.1.1 and I configured it as default gateway in host. Host want to send traffic to server.

By writing sh standby command in both routers I see that they have same MAC 0000.0C9F.F001.

Firstly Host broadcast Arp request for 192.168.1.1 and it gets reply and saves Mac ( 0000.0C9F.F001)  but it is interesting that Switch does not save   0000.0C9F.F001 in its routing table,have you ever wondered why?

Second confused point,after host getting Mac address and trying to send traffic to 0000.0C9F.F001 the switch looks at mac table and decides it does not have this mac address in table(but actually it should save it after ARP request of host) and floods again this traffic to R1 and R2. R1 which is standby router will drop packet because mac address does not match but why since sh standby states opposite?

I know it will be hard to you to understand what actually I mean but I would appreciate if you help me.

Thank you.

3 Replies 3

InayathUlla Sharieff
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Looks to be issue with your packet tracer as i tested on my laptop it works fine as expected.

I am not able to open your file on my pkt tracer as I am running the latest one.

Could you please try with the latest one and update us the config and pkt file?

Regards

Inayath

Hi

Thank you. I am already using latest packet tracer 6.2  which is the latest version.But I captured picture for you.

Can you please upload the config from the devices i will try to do the same repro and update you.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: