Views
Helpful
Replies

HSRP in distributions layer

Hardi Ahmed
Level 7
Level 7

Hello Experts,

I have had two switches in a Destruction layer and they were connected to the core layer in redundant links, meanwhile I configured HSRP and virtual. recently due to due a faulty in one of the switches I removed one of the switches but I kept the confiuration of the  HSRP in the active one. my question is: configuring a single switch with a HRSP affecting any kind of traffic in the current active switches for example (delay, slow performance, drop or any)?

your advice is highly appreciated.

5 Replies 5

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

since you have only one switch left, all traffic will go through that switch.  It is just as not having any HSRP.  There shouldn't be any slow, delay or performance issues.

HTH

hello Reza,

thanks alot for your reply.

in the meantime when I do ping to the virtual IP address I can get reply also I can get access to the router through telnet to the virtual IP address.

my question is; is the virtual IP address stay active or it will be disabling.

furthermore; when I do telnet to the mgmt & virtual IP address I have to wait 4 - 5 seconds till I get the username and password for login, is this also related to hsrp configuration or not?

thanks,

Hi,

my question is; is the virtual IP address stay active or it will be disabling.

The virtual IP stays active and will not be deleted.  Remember, when you configure HSRP, you configure the virtual IP on both active and stand-by.  So, it stays there even though you don't have a stand-by switch.

furthermore; when I do telnet to the mgmt & virtual IP address I have to wait 4 - 5 seconds till I get the username and password for login, is this also related to hsrp configuration or not?

not sure, you can test by going directly to the physical interface and see if you encounter the same issue.

HTH

thanks again for your reply, regarding the 1st one, in a single switch I think the HSRP is operating as active. because as I mention previously I can get access to the switches through the HSRP virtual IP address.

regarding this test I can do it by next sunday or monday. and will let you know when I did the test.

much appreciate if you could get me some more trouble shooting settings.

your advice highly appreciated.

Dear Reza,

I did the test as you mentioned in the previous comment, I directly connected the laptop to one of the port of the switch, and result is as a follow:

- when I did telnet to the virtual and logical IP addresses I experianced the same paird of delay.

please your kind advice accordingly.

many thanks

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card