Views
Helpful
Replies

Hyper-V NIC team on Cisco 3650

fred2k3
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am running Hyper-V on Svr2016.  I have created a NIC team of 3 physical ports in Switch Independent mode with Hyper-V Port distribution.  This is then used for my external virtual switch in Hyper-V and all the VMs use this.

The Hyper-V server is connected to a Cisco 3650 switch (all 3 of the Ethernet cables going into the same switch).

This has all worked fine for the last year, but at the weekend I had major issues on the Hyper-V server with the virtual switch MAC address switching ports constantly, then the physical NICs failing.  This was resolved with a reboot and it's been ok since, but I want to prevent this happening again.

I am wondering if I should have created some sort of NIC team on the Cisco 3650 switch?  Looking for input from others as to if this is a good idea or not (specifically for my configuration of NIC team in  Switch Independent mode with Hyper-V Port distribution).

Many thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

As far as I know switch independent mode does not use NIC teaming on the switch, it is all done in the virtual switch. 

You would have to use switch dependent mode with either a static or an LACP configuration. 

Jon

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

As far as I know switch independent mode does not use NIC teaming on the switch, it is all done in the virtual switch. 

You would have to use switch dependent mode with either a static or an LACP configuration. 

Jon

Thanks Jon - that makes sense

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card