cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

I am trying to setup a vlan to allow video traffic between a cisco 2960 and Cisco 3750 switch

Thomas Summers
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to setup a network using Cisco 2960 switches with vlans configured.  One vlan will handle video coming from four cameras that are connected to another 2960.

We have four cameras feeeding one port each on a 2960, that 2960 in turn feeds one port on the main 2960 which is the video vlan for that site.  From the site it goes back to a Cisco 3750 to be sent over to a Sonicwall firewall. If we connect to the 2960 that the camera are conencted to we can see the video, but not on the main site 2960.

Thanks,

Tom

5 Replies 5

Edwin Summers
Level 3
Level 3

Hi Thomas,

A few questions regarding your configuration:

1. Is the video from the cameras multicast or unicast?

2. Are you trunking VLANs, or using local VLANs?

3. Have you confirmed that the port on the "main 2960" that you are trying to view from is in the correct VLAN?

Best regards,

Ed

Edwin,

I am not sure about the cameras, they were install by a contractor, but I will check.  I am trunking the VLANS.  On the "Main site 2960" I have four vlans configured, one being for video and the others are for devices that have not been installed yet.  Unfortunately our customer took it upon himself to configure the switchthe cameras connect into.  On the 3750 in my data center I see the vlan as up & up.  The port is correct for the vlan that is handling the video. 

Hi,

I think you should ask for the config from the switches the cameras are connected to  to get sure the problem is not on their side first.

Regards.

Alain

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

Agree with Cadet Alain...it will be easier to troubleshoot starting from the "source" and working back.

I'm not sure what steps you have already taken, so use this for what it's worth:

-Confirm the switchport connecting the "main site" 2960 and the "camera" 2960 is indeed in trunking mode and trunking the VLANs you expect

-If you have a known, pingable address on the VLAN that lies on the "camera" switch, check connectivity via ping (perhaps one of the cameras, or a management device, or the VLAN SVI if the other switch has one)

The 3750 VLAN will show up/up as long as one interface attached to the VLAN is up (e.g. if you have another port configured for that VLAN and it has a device currently attached).  It may not be an indicator of the "end-to-end health" of the VLAN.

Best,

Ed

The vendor states that the cameras are unicast.  I am trying to get over to the site and get the config off of both swtiches .  Thanks

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card